Hidden Gems

CDNTEACH

Hidden Gems

Post by CDNTEACH »

Hello all!

Many of the reviews and the posts point to the great big schools (the holy grails) and the not so great schools (the sketchy and untrustworthy). As I read through these, I wonder if anyone within their years of experience has any hidden gems that they would like to recommend; a place they worked that was lovely (not perfect but a great experience!).

:):)
Flyingpigs

Re: Hidden Gems

Post by Flyingpigs »

Any school in rural India. A school that has no desks, no supplies and no books. The kids walk to school in bare feet, and there are goats in the playground. Their water comes from a well in the center of the compound--and thats on a good day. There are no bells, no morning announcements and curriculum is something from the 1950's. The classrooms are bare, except for the Hindu alphabet crudely printed on the walls. Their sports teams consist of some kids tossing around a deflated ball at recess. The teachers are all local, and their idea of 'teaching english' is to read an english primer to the class while the kids repeat back what they hear.
The kids are the absolute best. I have been teaching for 30 years--but those kids are still my favourite kids hands down, without exception. You wont find that school on any SEARCH or ISS database though. Thank God.
josephine

Post by josephine »

Flyingpigs wrote:
> Any school in rural India. A school that has no desks, no supplies and no
> books. The kids walk to school in bare feet, and there are goats in the
> playground. Their water comes from a well in the center of the
> compound--and thats on a good day. There are no bells, no morning
> announcements and curriculum is something from the 1950's. The classrooms
> are bare, except for the Hindu alphabet crudely printed on the walls. Their
> sports teams consist of some kids tossing around a deflated ball at
> recess. The teachers are all local, and their idea of 'teaching english' is
> to read an english primer to the class while the kids repeat back what they
> hear.
> The kids are the absolute best. I have been teaching for 30 years--but
> those kids are still my favourite kids hands down, without exception. You
> wont find that school on any SEARCH or ISS database though. Thank God.

That's true! I was on holiday years back in W Africa and remember the kids walking miles and miles to the school, while I, of course, waited for a taxi with AC to go visit the school they were walking to in the scorching heat. The kids are committed, and have faith that education is their way to a brighter future. Then, of course, I came back home to kids whining about not having their ipads and comparing the sizes of their pools and homes <smh> I wish I could afford to teach in such a school....
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Josephine: I know. I wish I could afford to teach in such a school too. Their thirst for knowledge was palpable. It was by far the best teaching experience of my life. What a gift we have been given, as educators-because no matter what or where our classes we DO have power for change--and sure, each and every kid might not be bright eyed and bushy tailed---but I firmly believe that in every class there is some kid, who wants to learn. For real.
CDNTEACH

Post by CDNTEACH »

Amazing and thoughtful responses. Thank you.

Keep them coming!
prince15

Post by prince15 »

I don't have any physical locations to share, but I am fortunate to have found certain people.

At my current school, I work closely with a coworker who acts as an unofficially mentor. Very lucky to have a person who believes in the same philosophy as me: Keeping your heart in the right place.

I just attended a job fair recently as professional development and met a director who also fosters that same attitude. We will see if I get that job ;) I am excited because in my early career as an international teacher I haven't seen much support from administration for teachers yet.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

I really like this thread. Thanks for asking this question CDNTEACH!! I am new to this forum, but not knew to international teaching or teaching in general.
Sometimes I think, we forget that at the end of the day its not about the money, or the country, or the principal or the parents--its about the kids in front of you. Third tier schools, or first tier schools, kuwait or Italy or Brazil or Hong Kong....its always, ALWAYS about the kids. I think that because we are also choosing countries, and changing our lives along with changing schools...its easy to lose sight of that.
Just because a school is international, or located in Singapore and not Chicago--does NOT make the teaching a better experience, nor does the fact that one is an international teacher make one a cooler person, or god forbid, a cooler teacher...its just another way to live a life. Perhaps another question to ask ourselves is " where can I make the most difference?" if that kind of thing is important to you.....to stir the pot a bit more--where DO you think you can make the most difference? Can a teacher make more of a difference in the richest school in Japan, or the poorest school in Malaysia..and what does it depend on?