Breaking into South America (Brazil)

globetrotter87

Breaking into South America (Brazil)

Post by globetrotter87 »

I am looking for advice on how to "break" into international teaching in South America, specifically Brazil. Currently I am in Eastern Europe teaching at an International School that follows the IB's Primary Years Programme. I have applied directly to countless schools with no luck. I am now debating about staying at my current school for one more academic year or accepting a job offer in Southeast Asia for 2 years at another PYP school - however, this would further delay my plans to move to South America.

How have you managed to get into Brazilian schools? Skype? Search Associates? Association of American Schools in South America (AASSA)?

Is it very competitive to get an international teaching job in Brazil? What are they looking for in a teacher?

I am also open to living in Argentina, but I understand that it's quite difficult to transfer money out of the country due to current laws. Chile also appeals to me.

Thank you!
PsychBean

Re: Breaking into South America (Brazil)

Post by PsychBean »

I am awaiting replies as would also love to work in this coveted location.
mtlguy123

Post by mtlguy123 »

Your best bet would be to go to the AASSA fair in atlanta held every December. It's a fair organized exclusively for South American schools.

Personally, I got hired for my school in Brazil through the TORF held in Kingston, Ontario, at the end of January. So there are options out there if you truly want to make it to this wonderful continent!
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Simple - do everything ie

Attended fairs w/ Brazilian schools
Recruiting Agencies
Email / Apply to schools directly
Network
Find lower tiered schools and apply to get foot in the door

Do it all man. Good luck