Hello Cambridge

Mac1030

Hello Cambridge

Post by Mac1030 »

This is for everyone who was wondering about the fair experience (we've already read some excellent one on this forum!)...

Just arrived in Cambridge (cold!!!) and the hotel is already buzzing with activity. I met a couple of other teachers and I'm a little surprised to see that not everyone is looking that sharp. However, everyone in formal attire looks great. I should say that the fair has not officially kicked off so I understand the need to stay comfortable until absolutely necessary. Everything is neatly laid out with candidates already making good use of the lounge. Thoughtful touch on SA's part- the complimentary chocolates...that little bit of sugar seems to perk up my tired colleagues.

Checked the mail room to find a couple of invites and open my inbox to a couple more, with 2 schools wanting to talk this afternoon. I don't feel ready to interview just yet but I know I probably should- maybe it will help with the nerves? I should say that all the interest I have received are from schools from regions I have no real inclination to go to but I know it is best to be open minded. So far so good. I'm still a wreck though. Just ran into some friends who had a pre-fair interview at my hotel- several people have made early arrangements and when I had a snack at the hotel restaurant it seemed like there were several couples being interviewed by recruiters. Interesting.

If you're at Cambridge with me- good luck!
newchapter

Re: Hello Cambridge

Post by newchapter »

I'm here! I'm dressed up! Not taking a chance. But, in all fairness, the Search people did say you don't have to dress up today. But, I'm looking sharp!
Peregrination

Post by Peregrination »

I'm here! The hotel is actually nicer than I thought it would be, and our hotel room looks out on the river. My partner and I arrived and registered early, so we've had the whole morning and afternoon to relax and prepare. We have a couple of interviews ready for tomorrow, and hopefully a couple more will happen once we go to the sign-up tomorrow morning. We're not in high-needs areas, though, so we'll take what we can get.

We have been lounging around all afternoon in our room, but I'll get a bit dressier for the orientation at 6:00pm. When we arrived and signed up, I was in jeans (and so were many other people), but I figure I'll go for elegantly casual this evening. Tomorrow I'll be in a suit.

Good luck to everyone else here in Cambridge!!
Mac1030

Post by Mac1030 »

Haha! I stand corrected! Some of you are indeed looking extra sharp.

I didn't luck out with a view of the river but the hotel is fine. I like that it has a pool and gym to work off stress.

I'm nervous but I'm relatively happy. A couple of people are raging pessimists and the negative energy is draining.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Anything going on tonight after meetings?
exnewyorker

Post by exnewyorker »

Mac1030 Thanks for the heads up re dress. SA had almost convinced me it was cool to wear jeans but I'd much rather be a little more dressed up! Good luck everyone!
Peregrination

Post by Peregrination »

Well my hope for a couple more interviews paid off; we finally checked downstairs again after this morning and had two new notes from schools requesting interviews. That brings to total to four tomorrow... it will be a really long day, but I'm excited!

Newchapter... I think my partner and I will be staying close to the hotel and not doing much other than interviewing and attending school presentations until at least Saturday night (other than the reception tomorrow evening). I have so much to do that I'll probably just grab something in the hotel for dinner and prepare, prepare, prepare after the orientation.
Briz

Post by Briz »

Keep calm, keep focused, talk to others in the lounge, great contacts are made this way! Be sure to keep enough time between interviews! You never know when that 1/2 hour runs into 45 minutes or an hour and you miss part of the next one. Stay confident. I have seen the best candidates I met at fairs get turned down for interviews for seemingly insane reasons. Recruiters have agendas and parameters along with 500 resumes! Your good, that is why you are there, sell yourself. Choose wisely. It is just February, it is not desperate season!

Good luck!!!
Mac1030

Post by Mac1030 »

Hahaha- "desperate season"! Sigh.

Survived Day 1!

Tally: 8 invite notes in mail room, 1 early interview, and 1 Skype interview.

I wrote 2 notes and popped off a copy of my resume to my top 2 schools. Cross your fingers for me!

I am super beat...tomorrow should be interesting.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Good luck Mac1030 and others. I have friends at the fair, so really hoping for them especially!
Peregrination

Post by Peregrination »

Congrats, Mac1030!! That sounds like an awesome day! Fingers crossed for you, and it definitely sounds like something great may be coming your way.

One thing that's been interesting is that an associate said we should not rely on the website or our email for communication, and that many of the schools would not have time to check their email. Although we received several notes in our mail boxes, many schools have communicated to us about specific interview times through email, so we can skip their table today during sign-ups. If you're at Cambridge, make sure to check your email!

Thanks to Briz and Shadowjack for your words of advice/encouragement.
Mac1030

Post by Mac1030 »

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the support!

Day 2:

Dream school #1 said no right at the sign ups because they wanted a couple more years of DP experience. This was tough (it was the second table I approached) but I managed to shake it off and walked away with 20 interviews scheduled, 8 of those from invites and the rest coming in completely cold.

Tired!!!! There is barely any time to eat or drink. Don't skip the social- the food was awesome.

No weird interview questions so far but some schools are upfront about saying that they like you but would prefer to hire a teaching couple. I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the schools I interviewed- many of which were not on my radar. I originally planned to only approach IB schools and go for HS positions but thought I should get as much practice as possible so I'm interviewing for MS positions as well. Met a candidate who told me they cried in their interview and another that was having a complete meltdown. Not good. Loads of lovely and amazing candidates though.

Had about a fourth of the interviews I snagged at signups today with 4 requests for a second round.

Some of the recruiters are great but some of them are rather unpleasant. I'm happy to instantly know I don't want to work with them or I'm incredibly glad I passed on their school during the sign up sessions. My old boss wrote me a nice message of encouragement- really grateful to have worked with such a fantastic guy. You can't underestimate the impact of a caring administration.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Hi Mac10!

Thanks for sharing. I am reading right along with you didn't post before but I am cheering you on in silence! I do hope you get a great school! Keep us posted.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

Whoa..20 interviews? NICE! Good luck!
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I am here and loving this fair! I had a job already through Skype but had to come to fair to meet in person and sign contract. I had already booked my flight and hotel so it was no problem. So, I'm relaxed and having fun. Everyone says 'why don't you go home?' but I'm here and this is fun so why not stay? I'm really enjoying meeting people and (hopefully) having a contact in another country - a couch to crash on! I'm vicariously going through the journey with many others. I'm surprised at the number of teachers that do not know of this site. I'm sure I've gotten ISR some business!

I had the same idea as another teacher - this would make a great documentary! Follow a few teachers on their journey from signing up with Search or ISS all the way through the job fair.

Anyway - about to go down and mill around and see what's going on!