IS Stavenger

runningsloth

IS Stavenger

Post by runningsloth »

Can anyone tell me about the international school in Stavenger, Norway? I know the country is ridiculously expensive, but is it a place that a teaching couple could save some money? I heard they have a tax exemption for the first few years? Do they offer housing/allowance? We have two small kids, so we would probably need a nanny. Thanks
jesatlarge

Re: IS Stavenger

Post by jesatlarge »

I believe they do have a 2 year tax exemption for Americans, but I'm not sure. A very good friend spent two years there a little while back and he saved apprx. 40k use per year. Yes,no typo. But he said he ate out twice in 2 years and NEVER went out and drank. He is extremely frugal, but while not everyone could save this much, I guess most folks could live decently and put something away.
runningsloth

Post by runningsloth »

Thanks for the reply. I was in Norway in October and thought it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Yes, it was incredibly expensive, but the quality of life there seemed to be outstanding. Yes, I am saving money here in the ME, but I want a better quality of life for my kids. I want them to be outdoors exploring, playing in the grass, learning to ski and hike, and all that other stuff. This school seems like it's often overlooked, probably because it is small and in one of the most expensive places on Earth.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

I taught there for several years and I can confidently guarantee that it is one of the best places to work in the world. You have a degree of tax sheltering for a total of 4 years, after that you have a variety of options.
If you are disciplined, you can actually save some money. I think the saying is that you can do two of the following; live well, ave well, travel well! But probably not all three.
Norway is staggeringly beautiful, clean and safe. If you are outdoorsy or raising young kids you could hardly be in a better place. I suppose the only downside is that long, dark winters can affect some people badly.
The school is very good indeed. Moving forward and developing without having a million mad initiatives going on at once. There's a great mix of excellent "long timers" and younger staff, and brilliant admin. The kids are a mixture of locals and ex-pats, with many from the oil industry and the NATO base up the road.
If you get an offer, take it.
Of course, now you are all asking "why did you leave?" The answer is that after 4 years and the cessation of the tax benefits, changes in the contract mean it is difficult to keep a financial footprint in two places. Secondly, the rest of the world was out there!
But seriously, Stavanger is awesome!
runningsloth

Post by runningsloth »

Cheery, thanks for the information. It sounds like a great place. My family loves to be outdoors, coming from Colorado originally, so Norway seemed similar to home. Also, the thought of being in a "smaller" city makes us excited. Could you expand on the pay/benefits in relation to the cost of living? Do they provide housing, flights, etc. like they do here in the ME, or is it similar to WE countries who don't provide those "extras."
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

When I was there, I think flights were reimbursed, and there is also a margin for a housing allowance included in your pay. I am currently in the ME and the pay is truly fantastic, so comparisons financially don't really make sense as it's a whole different ball game. Stavanger will definitely be a place where you have to watch your budget for a month or two, but once you are settled into the whole Norwegian groove, it isn't hard to budget. The rental houses are not huge but they are well maintained and the landlords are very up front and straight with you. The allowance should cover a decent place. Just ask. The current administration there is beyond great so if you are in negotiation, just talk to them.
Health care is excellent and free. Like everywhere, it may take a while to find the right places and the right people, but virtually everyone speaks extremely good English.
There were lots of Coloradans there at the same time as me (a couple who met there and got married, no less!) They loved the lifestyle.
There were also couple with whom we are great friends who started their international career there, direct from the US. It started them off on a great career. They are now at THE premier school in KL.
All round, just a great place. Scandinavia is probably the most kid friendly area on the planet. In Norway, they have rules about the number of play grounds and open spaces they have to have per houses in the area. There were 9 little parks within stroller distance of where I used to live. You could probably cycle the length and breadth of Norway on cycle paths without hitting the actual road!
Anyway, I must stop going on. Good luck!