Shanghai Offer

Helen Back

Shanghai Offer

Post by Helen Back »

Got an offer today. 21,000RMB plus 6000RMB housing (we're a teaching couple so housing would be 12,000RMB). MSH plus health insurance. Flights every year.

Thoughts? I know it's not the best salary, but does the housing cover a decent three bedroom apartment 30 minutes from the centre of Shanghai? We have two small kids, so nightlife is not important (but holidays are). Could we save on that salary? We really need to be sending home $2500 a month.
mysharona

Re: Shanghai Offer

Post by mysharona »

12,000 is pretty good, you'll find a decent three bedroom for that and probably cover your utilities as well. Of course whether or not you can save $2500/month every month will depend on a lot of factors, but 2 x 21,000RMB=$7000/month and that can go a long way. Holidays from Shanghai tend to be expensive if you are flying anywhere, which is the case most of the time. In fact we're on a staycation right now because the cost of flights out of Shanghai were ridiculous over CNY.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

A lot of your savings potential will depend on things like how often will you eat out at foreign restaurants. Are you going to be taking taxis everywhere or will you walk/take the subway/take buses? Also, is that offer minus the social insurance costs? Or does your school pay that on your behalf? Will you be hiring a full-time or part time ayi (nanny/maid/cook)? Some people I know hire one for full-time child care and a second for cooking and cleaning.

As Mysharona indicated, If you plan on taking trips outside of China, then the flights will cost a bit to get four people out from Shanghai. Regional trips within China (Nanjing, Hangzhou, even Beijing by train) will be affordable, but I find leaving China during breaks is advisable to take a break from the day to day frustrations.

I think the USD2,500 a month is a realistic savings to put away in the bank and not use towards vacations, but you will have to be budget conscious for holidays. A teaching couple with no kids could swing that easily.
Briz

Post by Briz »

1. Are you sure it is 12k? Many schools increase for teaching couples, but they do not double the housing allowance!

2. Are you both making 21k per month? If so you will be pulling 7k USD. This is pretty good, unless you are talking before tax numbers. The tax in different cities varies, but you can expect 15-20% in general in China. That will be bringing in @ 65-70k USD a year for 2 people. In general that is kind of low for China. It is not low for many other places.

3. Where do you want to travel for your holidays? This will be your biggest expense behind food. Think about spring and fall trips in China, maybe Thailand or Philippines beaches for Christmas/CNY and home for the summers only. Or stay cations exploring Shanghai!

4. Food. As mentioned before, shop as much as you can at the large Chinese supermarkets (or get a good Ayi who does that for you) and occasionally splurge on some high end western items at the trendy western outlets.

5. Entertain friends in the home, and drink Tsindao instead of imports and all should fair ok.

6. Sending home 2.5k USD a month is really going to depend on 1. If you have to pay tax, 2. How much you travel, and 3 how you eat.

Good luck!
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

Yes, we have been told we'll get 6000RMB each for housing. No, tax has not been deducted, but we were told the rent we pay is tax deductible on presentation of a fapiao. If that is the case I think tax would be closer to 10-12% (although I'd have to work it out).
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Are the flights every year for your kids as well, or do you foot the bill for them?
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

No, we have to foot the bill for the kids.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

If your children are not school age, you'll have to factor in childcare costs. If your kids attend school with you, you will still probably want to hire part time domestic help. A good ayi will cost between 25-35 RMB an hour. Apts within your budget will be easy enough to find. There are 2 and 3 bedroom apts in Minghan going for between 8K and 12 K