Losing hope, but maybe there's a chance...?

ZachZ-H

Losing hope, but maybe there's a chance...?

Post by ZachZ-H »

Good morning all,

My wife and I (along with 2 kids) have been putting serious effort into researching the international teaching scene and it is something we would really like to pursue but it looks like our situation is somewhat bleak. I've been reading through many years of archives as well as many websites, etc... and it appears we are in a tough spot as far as actually getting a placement. Please note that I know it is rather late in the process to get the ball rolling for the upcoming year, so most of out goals revolve around the 15/16 school year and beyond.

A bit of background:

I am a trailing spouse. I had a small business that I sold and have been enjoying a little time with our 2 kids - ages 4 and 2. I have also been playing (it keeps editing this out - it is a game with cards and chips) professionally for about a year and keeping food on the table :-) while my wife stays at home with our kids. This is not a priority for us and I would become the stay at home dad.
One kid will start kindergarten this school year and the other will not be in the school system for 3 more years. Preschool will start next year though.
My wife has a BA in Elementary Education. After college she spent 2 years in the Peace Corps in Guatemala and then taught for 4 years in the public school system before taking leave to stay at home with the kids. She is quite comfortable with Spanish having spoken the language daily in the Peace Corps.

Ever since her time in Guatemala she has wanted to return to teaching internationally. I am fully supportive of this and quite excited at the prospect of living elsewhere and the cultural experience it would provide us and our children. Ideally, we would find a place that we fell in love with and stay for a while, but that is jumping ahead of ourselves.

We aren't trying to "get rich" or have tremendous savings, but we would want to make enough to afford a bit of traveling on off times and be able to provide for the kids. I don't have a problem paying for my own airfare, etc... but would hope that insurance for the entire family is doable? Perhaps tuition once the becomes relevant? It is becoming clear that my role as "trailing spouse" is quite the issue, although staying home beats daycare in our opinion.

So - is there a chance that my wife could find employment is a safe environment given our dependent situation and with her just resuming teaching after 4 years at home? She has started an application with CIS and we have considered ISS but aren't sure it is worth the fee to have them tell us we are not very likely to get a placement. Who doesn't want W. Europe, but it appears that is not financially doable and not likely, so we are open to most other areas of the world assuming safety is not an issue for our family.

Sorry to ramble, we'd appreciate any thoughts of whether the situation is as hopeless as it appears?
Dawson

Re: Losing hope, but maybe there's a chance...?

Post by Dawson »

I don't think it's hopeless at all. I think you just need to be realistic about where you would go. With her previous Peace Corps experience and knowledge of Spanish I would think you'd be a good sell to many Central and South American schools. The trailing spouse with kids part is going to be the big hindrance I would say. Schools seem to want teaching couples first because it's basically two for the price of one. Singles are also attractive because it's just one person. A family with a trailing spouse presents schools with more "baggage" so to speak and so your wife would really have to sell herself during the interviews. That's definitely doable because a positive attitude and enthusiasm can get you far in interviews, especially if you can back that up with good answers to current trends in education and international education. I can tell you right now Europe is out. There's no chance you'd get on there. The Americas would be a good try. Also, smaller schools in Asia, especially China would be a good bet. Many teachers make a stop through China at some point in their career and you could probably find one that would want your wife. Her four years out of the classroom are going to be a bit of a problem too since her references would be old and many admin would consider those kind of worthless. She needs to start volunteering at a school NOW or subbing or working as a para so she can get updated letters of reference and speak to what is currently happening in the classroom. I agree this year is a little late, but if she does those things you'd be in good shape when the next recruiting cycle comes around. Keep an open mind as to where you would go. Like I said there are many schools out there and you just need to find the right fit. Also, I wouldn't talk to much about "safety" during an interview. Be realistic with your family's safety, but know that all things are relative. If you read the comments on this board a lot of teachers were in hot spots during the Arab Spring, but were actually relatively safe. So talk to the recruiters and schools and find out how the situation really is. If you don't you might pass on some good schools just because you thought they weren't safe.
National

Post by National »

You might want to look into QSI. They are not the best schools, but they do offer opportunities for families that other schools would pass on. I have known families with four kids, single teachers with three dependents, and numerous teachers with trailing spouses who have all been hired by QSI. You will have to pay insurance and flights for yourself, but your children would have this provided and their tuition would be covered when they hit school age (preschool usually starts at 3 in most QSI schools, but some schools have a two year old class). As far as savings go, they aren't the best paying schools, but they are also usually not in the most expensive places to live. All of the people I mentioned above were easily able to live and travel off of their salary. In addition, they recruit at their own events, so membership in Search or ISS is not necessary. If you were willing to go to a less desirable location (think former Soviet Republics in Central Asia) you could probably still get hired for the next academic year.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

OK - you need to get certified as a teacher. You can do it in a year to two years through different programs. Sounds like with your experience with statistics, math would be a good area (and would increase your employability a LOT!).

South America pays not well, especially since your wife has several strikes against her. 3 dependents if you are not certified, not a large salary at many schools, and your wife has been out of the field for a few years.

Good luck!
ZachZ-H

Post by ZachZ-H »

Thanks for the great replies.

My wife is planning to long-term sub or go back for a single year for the upcoming school year to get more relevant and current experience.

I am definitely not going to be able to qualify for any type of teaching program. Aside from not having much patience for children that aren't my own, I don't have a college degree and am about 40 credits short of having one...maybe more, It has been about 15 years since I have in a classroom.

Central/South America is more appealing to me then Asia, but that is only due to the language barrier being less of an issue in the community since my wife is fluent is Spanish and I am passable, and could improve. At this point, we would love to feel that there is a chance and wouldn't be overly picky. Macau happens to be the (again it censors the game I play professionally - not sure why that word needs to be censored) capital of the world :-) lol

We did look, albeit briefly, at QSI, but they only hire teaching couples, which isn't us.

Thanks again for the constructive comments, we really appreciate the assistance and any other ideas, etc.. please feel free to write.
National

Post by National »

QSI does hire single teachers with trailing spouses and kids. I used to work for them and there were numerous people in this or similar situations that were hired. I know their website says only teaching couples, but they will hire someone with your wife's situation. I would apply and see where it takes you. Again, I would not say they are great schools, but it is a chance to work overseas.
As the previous poster said, Spanish-speaking countries are usually low paying and it would be very difficult to make it on one salary.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Hiya
Ok--you cant get a Teaching Degree but you CAN get a TEFL certificate ( either Online or through some other means) It isnt going to get you into an international school, but it might get you a tutoring post, or it might get you a post in another type of school. Anything you can do to boost the chances, is worth it I think?
Check out Dave's ESL cafe too....lots of stuff there.
L
Briz

Post by Briz »

I assume you will continue with your card playing career. If it is being conducted online, be sure that you can continue to do so where you relocate. Having your accounts set up is key. You want to be able to remove money from that account.

Also sounds like your wife has been out of teaching for some time, that might also concern schools beyond the kids and yourself. Remember also not everyone is intp "cards" for a living...

Daves is ok for free but they specialize in esl, much better to pay the small fee for joyjobs and tieonline! Cheap compared to the overall amount of info you get. I would not pay for ISS or search unless you have several years of recent experience. CoIS would also be excellent.

Good lck!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Zach, Macau has really two schools. One is Alberta, Canada curriculum, and the other is more of a British curriculum (I think).

Your wife should get a full time job. Long term subbing does NOT count as "real teaching" for the good international schools.

Again, if you are not planning on teaching, you will be a hard sell. Do NOT reference your *ahem* career. Have answers prepared as to what you will be doing with your time...and realize that having a trailing husband is often viewed quite differently than having a trailing wife as a spouse.

Good luck on your searches - keep us posted!