Phuket: PIADS, British Int, School, or Quality Schools Int?

mortynyc

Phuket: PIADS, British Int, School, or Quality Schools Int?

Post by mortynyc »

Hi again all,

Asked this more broadly about Thailand in general but now I want to get more detailed info.

First off is QSI. What is Quality School International's reputation as they have many schools around the world? How is their Phuket branch?

Also I've read here that PIADS is good. Any info on them as well as the British Int school?

I think Phuket would be an amazing place to live! Thanks.
shadowjack

Re: Phuket: PIADS, British Int, School, or Quality Schools I

Post by shadowjack »

QSI has a school in Phuket? I did not know this!
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

You can search for QSI here and get all the comments everybody has said about them. I interviewed with them before and I'd take PIADS and BIS-Phuket before them any day. That being said, life on Phuket is pretty expensive - as already stated in the other Thailand post. But these are the two schools with the best reputations and you'd get a decent package, PD, etc.
mortynyc

Post by mortynyc »

vettievette: Try putting QSI or Quality Schools International in the search box and let me know what you come up with as I only see pages of non QSI related topics when I do. EDIT: I looked on forum 2 and there are a lot more answers there.

Why is PIADS and British Int better?
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

1) QSI will not necessarily place you in the location you are hoping for. I would imagine that Phuket is one of their "prized" destinations. As a first-timer, don't be surprised that you'd be offered placement in the ME or in the 'stans - that's not a bad thing, but it's not Phuket. ;)
2) Religious (Christian) flavor to some of their interviewing styles (including my own experience) that can be off-putting - particularly when they ask directly about teaching evolution (which IS science).
3) Overall package - not as competitive as other places, even in the 'stans.
4) Curriculum - left a lot of question marks when I looked through it.

That being said - those that have gone the QSI route have noted it is family-friendly and it depends on where you end up,but most people I know were happy to move on to a different school setting after their experiences.
Manny_09

Post by Manny_09 »

Nice post!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

In the past QSI Phuket paid a reduced salary when compared to the rest of their schools. It may of changed since but definitely checking before signing on the dotted line.
Micky

Post by Micky »

I work for QSI. First of all you probably won't make it into QSI in Phuket. Like vettievette stated, people who have been working for a school for 2 years can asked to be transferred and this happens before they begin hiring. An exception might be if you can teach in an area that is hard to fill. Right now they have two openings at Phuket which is a secondary math/science combination and a secondary social studies/PE combination and are probably looking for a couple.

It is true that they pay a reduced salary in Phuket because they enroll a number of locals and want to keep the tuition affordable.

They only have one school in the ME which is Yemen, not likely to be placed there as I hardly ever see any openings there.

I have also heard that religion plays a part in hiring however this was not my experience and religion doesn't play any part in the school where I am at. The director at my particular school is actually quite the opposite and is not religious at all.

In regards to the other schools you listed I don't know much about them.