High School Teaching Conditions in the US?

Phil

High School Teaching Conditions in the US?

Post by Phil »

Curious about how high school teaching in the US compares to the rest of the western world. I´ve seen stats showing that they teach more hours than any other country, the pay seems to be around average, but with good benefits. Employment doesn´t seem very secure, and teachers seem to get the blame for pretty much everything and enjoy little freedom. I have a feeling though, that I have only heard about the average schools, and that there is probably a greater span in quality compared to many other countries. Is it very hard for a foreign teacher of social sciences to get a position at a good school? Would IB be the best choice? Would the country be a good choice over Australia, Canada, the UK and New Zealand?
shadowjack

Re: High School Teaching Conditions in the US?

Post by shadowjack »

You would have to apply to the international schools (New York, Sturgess, Monterey, Atlanta) or go on a teacher exchange or foreign teacher program (which is limited as to how long you can teach). For a US regular school in a good district to hire you, they have to prove there are no suitable US applicants (and these districts will get many more applications per opening than less desirable districts), then they have to navigate US immigration for you, etc etc...simply put, you are vastly more expensive than hiring an American.

The US has a huge teacher GLUT - not shortage, which is why so many of them are hitting the job fairs.

If you are a Commonwealth teacher it might be easiest for you in the UK or perhaps Australia or NZ. Canada does not have a social science teacher shortage.

Good luck!
Phil

Re: High School Teaching Conditions in the US?

Post by Phil »

That´s what I suspected. Thanks for all the help Shadowjack!