Anyone live in Beirut?

lemonlily

Anyone live in Beirut?

Post by lemonlily »

We are thinking of visiting Beirut at the end of February as we have a week long break.

I am just wondering if the situation there is really as bad as they make it sound. We lived in Cairo last year so we know how things are always blown out of proportion and the media makes it worse than it sounds.

I was just wondering if it will be fine to travel there for 4 days, or if things are actually bad there.

The travel ban says there have been a lot of targets on westerners....how true is this?

Anyone with first hand exp?
Micky

Re: Anyone live in Beirut?

Post by Micky »

If there is a travel ban how can you go there? You sure it isn't a warning or an advisory?
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

ok it's a warning. But it says US citizens should avoid all travel to Lebanon.
exnewyorker

Post by exnewyorker »

I don't live there now but I lived there for three years up until last year. Still have friends living there now. I would say it's totally fine for a visit. Even when something happens there, the Lebanese get on with life and are still out partying, shopping, skiing, and having a good time. In all the three years I lived there, there was only one time that we all stayed home and that was right around the time of the revolution in Egypt and we had a "Day of Anger" and the streets were deserted. I'd say it's definitely fine for a visit unless you hear of something very specific just before you leave that is affecting the whole city.
exnewyorker

Post by exnewyorker »

Also, the travel advisories ALWAYS say to avoid travel to Lebanon. It doesn't necessarily mean there is anything specific now.