What would you do?

BlueJay

Re: What would you do?

Post by BlueJay »

Be transparent. If you do it be ready for the fallout. Weigh everything. Learn from this lesson. Good luck.
exnewyorker

Post by exnewyorker »

I could never go back on my word. That is the nature of accepting a job: you rule out all the other possibilities for the next two years. If I accepted a job and then immediately kept my "feelers out" then I really shouldn't have accepted in the first place.
matts1w

Post by matts1w »

Feel free, but don't be shocked if you find yourself with zero jobs at the end of the process. The international school world is quite small and word gets around. Or... first call the school where you accepted the job and let them know you are still looking. Second, let the new school know you have already accepted a job for next year, but you want to interview anyway. That would be the honest thing to do, but I doubt it will go over very well.
chalupa

Post by chalupa »

After you accept a job you're supposed to put those "feelers" back in.

Think about it. What if the tables were turned? What if you landed your dream job, only to be told a month later, "I know we offered you the job, but we weren't really wowed by you, so we kept our feelers out and found a teacher that we like better than you."

I know it sucks to see this opportunity that seems perfect for you after you already signed a contract. Perhaps it would help if you remember what it is about the first school that made you sign with them. The school and job can't be that bad if you chose them out of all the other offers you received. Who knows, maybe this will turn out to be the perfect job for you. If not, you will only be more experienced and attractive to your first choice school in two years.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

I accepted a contract and later that day was offered a SKYPE interview with a school I was also VERY interested in. I replied to the director that I was excited to hear from him, definitely interested, but just today accepted a contract. If he'd like to get to know me better for the future, I'd be glad to talk with him, but I also understood that time is of the essence during recruiting season. He responded by wishing me the best in my new position.

Part of me was disappointed, but I made the best decision with what was offered at the time (multiple contracts on the table), and I do believe that my word is my bond. I will be happy at my new school and look forward to working there!

I'm with Dedee on this one.