Thailand Schools

mortynyc

Thailand Schools

Post by mortynyc »

Hi, I've done searches for some of the schools in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket.

Wanted to know how would I live with a wife and child in these places on 130,000 Baht a month? Especially thinking of Phuket.

Plus can someone give a quick rundown of the best schools on Phuket - would they be BIS or Quality Schools International?

Thanks!
buffalofan

Re: Thailand Schools

Post by buffalofan »

You would end up with around 100,000 baht a month after taxes on that salary. You could live well but not extravagantly on that. Keep in mind that Phuket is probably the most expensive place to live in Thailand, and there is no way you could live in Phuket without buying a car, which cost much more in Thailand than they do in the USA.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

ESL teachers in BKK would consider 100K nett a King's ransom, but as the previous replies states, on Phuket, with two dependents it's just 'comfortable'. Your savings potential however would be low to very low, depending on how 'international' a lifestyle you and your family lead.

Phuket has it's problems, only reading today a statistic that one person every three days dies on the roads there, crime, corruption etc. and it rains a lot. Still a very desirable location for Thais and expats. I'd go if I could get into PIADS!
mortynyc

Post by mortynyc »

Thanks for the advice.

I think we would net 150,000 baht total with my wife so how would we live in Phuket on that then? Seems like it would be an ok lifestyle.

What is PIADS? Also what's been going on in Phuket regarding problems? I've looked up crime and seems to be less than what we have in the United States but definitely a worry.

Thanks again for the writing and of the assistance.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

PHUKET INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY DAY SCHOOL (PIADS)

For a general idea of news that interests expats living on the island, take a look at the Phuket section of the popular Thaivisa dot com website. Lots of money to be made on the island, which seems to be fuelling violence and corruption.

I have friends who still live on the island, one who previously worked at BIS for many years. The weather and traffic are his only complaints about life there!
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

Mr.C4ke wrote:
> PHUKET INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY DAY SCHOOL (PIADS)
>
> For a general idea of news that interests expats living on the island, take a look
> at the Phuket section of the popular Thaivisa dot com website. Lots of money to
> be made on the island, which seems to be fuelling violence and corruption.
>
> I have friends who still live on the island, one who previously worked at BIS for
> many years. The weather and traffic are his only complaints about life there!
Hi - just sent you a PM about living/working in BKK. I just accepted a contract at one of the schools there at the Search BKK fair.
mortynyc

Post by mortynyc »

Thanks for info and have looked into PIADS as well.

Can't find any ISR reviews of any of the Phuket schools aside from the British school though. How is PIADS and QSI rated?
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

PIADS is still quite new and I know nothing of QSI.

BIS had a shake up after the new head joined the other year. A number of teachers left after drug testing in the school. Made the local news (http://phuketwan.com/tourism/top-phuket ... sts-16135/). I personally know two teachers who were affected.
dexts

Post by dexts »

My wife and I earned a combined THB170,000 a month in Bangkok. We lived very well. We had a car (new), amazing apartment, and never worried about finances. My salary was untouched for the last couple years, and went straight into savings. We didn't have a child though, and depending on the age of your child and the type of school you choose to send him/her to, school fees can cut into your potential savings quite a lot.
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

I worked in BKK a few years ago. I made about 100K per month, and that was plenty of money for me and my wife who wasnt teaching at the time. We had a super nice condo, and life in Bangkok is pretty sweet. Even though I make about double that here in China now I I would go back to BKK in a heartbeat.