Regents school Pattaya

Schmedz

Regents school Pattaya

Post by Schmedz »

According to the reviews, which are all a number of years old, this school is not as great as it appears on the website.

Does anyone have any up to date comments about what it is like, especially since being bought by Nord Anglia?

Thanks.
Mr.C4ke

Re: Regents school Pattaya

Post by Mr.C4ke »

Not a large pool of IS to choose from in Thailand. School is OK, Pattaya for some people may be a problem. Salary wasn't high.

I interviewed with them last January, they were having problems retaining teachers for the position I was applying for. In the end I took a job in BKK.
mortynyc

Post by mortynyc »

Mr. Cake seems like a real expert on Thailand so I figured I would ask him some more q's!

How's teaching in BKK compared to Pattaya or Phuket? I've been to only BKK and Phuket so know the differences between the non-beach and beach lifestyles of the places but what is the quality of life like overall? THanks
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Thanks for the info. Was hoping to hear from staff working there if possible. Many seem to have been there for a reasonable amount of time.
Senior management seem fab from what I experienced at interview (and also receive some of the few positive comments in reviews!). I have been fortunate to receive a job offer and they are very understanding about needing to take time to consider.
Like Morty, I would also like to know a bit more about what living in Pattaya is actually like!
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

The school is not in Pattaya proper, it's just off the motorway that runs between the city and BKK.

Pattaya is a coastal resort town popular with Russian tourists, sex tourists and long term sexpats. It's like no other place I know in Thailand,; Patong beach in Phuket may come close. With a car you would not have to live in Pattaya.

The reason I was interviewing was because the previous teacher had been put in a coma after being attacked (from what I understand was in retribution for a minor traffic incident with another foreigner). I was told this by a staff member at the BKK Regent's school. Apparently the medical cover by the school was insufficient to repatriate the teacher so teachers from both schools pooled money for his medical flight home. A terrible situation for all. The school may suit you, just look carefully where you choose to live.

Each of the three locations are very different. I would expect many residents of BKK would seriously consider a move to a coastal town if they had the opportunity. Life in any metropolis can be hard, especially growing Asian mega cities. Personally, I feel that Phuket and Pattaya, like many resort towns in Thailand, but not all (was in a few southern towns over the recent break that I can vouch for) have sold their Thai soul to become an international tourist destination. When you are in Phuket and especially Pattaya you know you are competing with the tourists for everything, for example in the way taxi drivers treat/charge/fleece you and the prices on restaurant menus etc.

Life in Thailand, for me, can be summed up in one word, 'convenient'. Everything is available, albeit at a price. 100K as a single or 150K as a couple can buy you a comfortable lifestyle. Thailand is having internal problems, again, but it's a country I would recommend to teachers. My school works me hard but there's still a wealth of things to do here and to explore in neighbouring countries.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Thanks again for the info.

Would you say 100K is too little for a family of 4 then? Even with housing at the school and school places for the children?
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

100K IS a lot of money in Thailand, but for a family of four foreigners I think you would find it difficult. If your children do not / can not eat local food your restaurant bills will rocket. As cooking at home is generally considered more expensive than eating out, this may not help. If you do not buy a car, which are hideously expensive, you will be at the mercy of the local taxi drivers who won't be interested in reasonable fares when there are gullible/loaded tourists to be ripped off.

Ultimately it depends on how native you can become. If housing is provided that would save you around 25K, what about insurance, flights home etc. for the whole family?

100K is a single teacher's salary and it's comfortable. Same salary for a family of four is very risky.