Advice for a Newbie

MidTMike

Advice for a Newbie

Post by MidTMike »

I have a BA in English Literature, M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction, 60 hours of Law School and 4 years of teaching elementary school.

BUT

That was 15 years ago and I have been traveling around the world for 15 years doing freelance work, writing, etc.

I am getting my k-6 certification back. I'll also get an ESL certificate in 2 months.

I would love Brazil but am planning on the Middle East.

After so long away, how do I get back into this?
CaliPro

Re: Advice for a Newbie

Post by CaliPro »

The same way everyone gets into it. Get certified and exhaust all your job searching options (fairs, agencies, direct emailing, networking, job boards, etc)

Be flexible starting out on location.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I'm new, too. Another piece of advice I have is to take any and all Skype interviews...even if you're not interested. They're good practice and you never know what can happen. I had a Skype with a school I thought I was interested in but was hesitant about something to do with the the teaching. The director was very understanding and kind..he passed my name along to a fabulous school that contacted me the very next day.

I don't have a job yet but I'm getting close!

Good luck!
MidTMike

Post by MidTMike »

Much appreciated.

I am very new back at this. Will my 15 year absence from teaching be a major drawback for most schools?
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I think you just have to put your hat in the ring and see what happens. It (your teaching absence) might be against you in December/January...but in April/May or later you'll probably be looking really good to a school that needs a teacher!
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

MidTMike,

Yes, being away from the classroom for 15 years will be a drawback for most schools. There have been changes in instructional and assessment strategies (Readers/writers workshop for example). The best advice I can give is take any job you can get, gain experience and then you can go after more established schools and/or more desirable countries.