School of Nations, Macao

IAMBOG

School of Nations, Macao

Post by IAMBOG »

Anybody have any info on this school? Package? Make up of the student body?

Thanks in advance
CDNTEACH

Re: School of Nations, Macao

Post by CDNTEACH »

I don't know much about them but I do know they do not cover housing which is super expensive in Macao. The Alberta school there has a great reputation and I think they pay more plus a housing allowance.
astarte

Re: School of Nations, Macao

Post by astarte »

Stay away!

The teaching staff is great but the administration is a nightmare. They lie to the teachers, students and parents. None of the administration has taught any length of time outside the school and when pressed say that they didn't really want to be administrators.

They have no curriculum except for the IB Diploma and IGCSE exams at the upper level. There is not mentorship or support for the teachers. The kindergarten program includes 4 year olds sitting and writing for an hour each day. The results from the IGCSE and IB Diploma are not given out (they are abysmal). Many students who have been at the school for years can not speak, read or write English close to their grade level.

High turn over unless the teachers are Baha'i. Half of the new hires left after one year last year, equal number the year before. There are no long term plans and decisions are made at the spur of the moment with no thought of the larger impact and very little teacher input. The Board does not seem to care - they brought in a consultant last year who presented a pretty damning report of the school and nothing has changed.

The salary is low, there is no professional development budget unless you are in IB and IGCSE and that is only because they are required to provide those teachers with training.

Rents in Macau are rising and the salary is low. If you are interested in teaching in Macau then go the the Anglican School of Macau or The International School of Macau (TIS). Really, go to Hong Kong and visit Macau.