Changzhou Trina International School

Godfather146

Changzhou Trina International School

Post by Godfather146 »

Does anyone have any recent information about Changzhou Trina International School?

Purposed package includes 240,000rmb plus according to experience (not sure if this is before/after tax)
Accommodation allowance
Tuition fee allowance
Settling in allowance
International health care
Annual flights

What is Changzhou like to live in? Is a yearly salary of 240,000rmb good enough? How much should I be looking for in the accommodation allowance?

Thanks in advance!
eion_padraig

Re: Changzhou Trina International School

Post by eion_padraig »

So I've never been to Changzhou, but I've spent time in other parts of Jiangsu province (Suzhou, Nanjing, Yangzhou), but admittedly not recently. First off, as a third tier Chinese city I'm surprised it has an international school. You should find out if they enroll mainland Chinese students. If they do, then they're actually a public or private Chinese high school, and that will mean they'll be managed like a Chinese high school. If that is the case, then most (all?) of their students will be Chinese. This isn't necessarily bad if it is the case, but it will mean you'll have a wide range of English language abilities amongst your students. I personally avoid working at these type places because the management tends to be terrible even if they have a handful of foreign admins around.

If they don't have Chinese nationals, then it will be a foreign run school. Do you like working with Korean nationals? You'll still have a lot of English language learners.

As a third tier city, things will be relatively inexpense compared to the big cities, but foreign goods will be harder to find. This will also mean it will be less tempting to spend your money. The salary isn't bad if it's net salary. Even if you lose 10% to taxes that would be okay. That amount is around the bottom of my school's salary band in a more expensive city. You could probably save 1/3 of your salary or half if you were careful with you spending. If you were ultra frugal you could save even more.

As for housing, I'd think you find good options for places that run you from 5,000 to 8,000 RMB/month. This is an educated guess on my part, but I think it's a decent estimate.

Do you speak Chinese? Well, it's going to be a good place to learn because the foreign population of a city that size is going to be small. You'll probably want to learn basic Chinese to make life easier there.

It's a place to be for a couple years to get you feet wet, but probably not a place many people would choose to stay for long. Teachers will good experience could do better. The fact they say it's sponsored by local government on the website makes me think it's probably aimed at Chinese nationals. Expect lots of ELL students.it's a place you'd see a slightly less glitzy side of China.
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

I have not lived in Changzhou, but I have lived in 2 nd and 3 rd tier cities in China and I have travelled extensively in the country. Living in a 3 rd tier city is a very challenging proposition. You will need to learn Chinese, as much as you can, in order to have some independence in your daily life. Otherwise you're asking your Chinese colleagues to help you every day. Talking to a landlord, ordering food In a restaurant, asking directions, talking to a taxi driver, getting a phone, bank account, buying water, shopping anywhere, or having domestic help will all be extremely difficult unless you speak Chinese. If you have children they will be a big curiosity, stared at and approached and touched by all the locals. What is the health care like? Outside the big three cities like Shanghai, the hospital situation is very challenging. If there isn't an international hospital, your ability to get good care where you can communicate clearly will be nearly impossible. I have used a lot of local hospitals and while it is ok sometimes, they are very crowded and the queuing and queuing can get you down. And I can speak enough Chinese. Getting your hair cut and buying clothes will also be interesting. Hopefully there'll be an international hotel chain where you can escape occasionally. I know the previous poster was more on the glass half filled side, but don't fool yourself. Daily life challenges can get you down and effect your work. Hopefully the school will have a well organized welcome wagon. Our last school, in a tier 2 city, actually said that international teachers should be able to deal with any living challenge and were given no support. No help to set up their living situation like a phone or orientation to the city and pressured to rent from friends of the Chinese co-director.
I'm not saying don't have a go, but go with your eyes wide open. Check out e-China cities, Shanghai expat, urbanatomy sites online and search for info on the forums.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I don't disagree with anything Grdwdgrrrl wrote. I'd find it hard to go to one of the third tier cities now, though I wouldn't have minded earlier in my life/career.

The LP's Thorne Tree forum (China & The Long Haul) used to have some knowledgeable people living in smaller Chinese cities (this being a country where a city with 4.5 million people is small). Might be worth a look to try to find Changzhou specific info.