Breaking into Int'l Admin

UM2001

Breaking into Int'l Admin

Post by UM2001 »

I am looking for a little perspective and advice. Both the Search and CIS websites seem to indicate that a candidate with no international experience would not seriously be considered for an administrative position in an international school. I am considering "taking the plunge" in 2015, but would be hesitant to move into a position that is a 100% teaching role (a combination would be ideal and something that I truly miss right now as an assistant principal in a large US high school).

I have 10 years of teaching experience, three years of IB/AP coordination, and will have three years in an assistant principal role as of next year. My current position is head of curriculum and instruction in a school with 1850 students. Additionally, I coordinate the counseling dept. and act as SPED coordinator for the school. My wife has 13 years of math teaching experience (10 years MYP and 3 years DP, no HL though). Her current role allows for partial release time to mentor and coach teachers.

We both have masters degrees and are graduates of a top 20 university in the US (if that matters?) We have two young children.

Given our particulars, would it be improbable to find positions (assistant principal/math teacher) in a relatively respected international school? We would be very flexible with location and really just looking for a good fit professionally, maybe save a little money and have a great experience for our family. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
overseasvet2

Post by overseasvet2 »

Why not go for it? Admin get hired straight from the US all the time. You would definitely be in the running for an assistant principal role. I do think that usually admin posts are hired earlier than teaching posts but I might be mistaken.
SuzieQ

Re: Breaking into Int'l Admin

Post by SuzieQ »

I agree with the previous poster: go for it: you have the right amount of experience and educational background.

I suggest joining a professional association for educational leadership, particularly one that provides regular professional readings/ journals. In long-established education systems (and perhaps also high-quality schools), your promotion should incorporate leadership training and sustained, personalised coaching, and transitions should be seamless. I have yet to see this concept considered in either of my recent international schools, and others I hear about, and therefore I recommend to begin to do this yourself, start reflecting on case studies of school improvement. There are differences between leadership and management; and regular reading will help you hone your personal philosophy.

I think some of the issues discussed in forums around 'Should I join an international school without classroom experience in my home country' topics identify similar dilemmas, if your are promoted within the relatively isolated context of an international school.

If more international schools were prepared to invest in their educational leaders, you would not see so many posts complaining about the poor quality of their admin. Aim to be the kind of leader teachers rave about, and it won't harm your school either!
Last edited by SuzieQ on Wed May 06, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Apply to Search AND ISS. Hit both Bangkok fairs. With the background you describe, you AND your wife will get offers. She teaches high needs and you bring a wealth of strengths and experience to whichever school is lucky enough to hire you.

Good luck and keep us posted next year!
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

I have 12 years of teaching experience in the States, no admin expierence at all and I just landed my 1st admin position at an IB school. I got the job by attending the Search London fair. I had a lot of inteviews and a lot of interest in me for admin positions, from both large and small schools. Nothing is impossible. The theme that I kept hearing from the schools that I interviewed with is that they were looking for new ideas and tech savvy leaders. I highly recommend going to a fair. Search London was top notch.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

UM2001,

You are certainly viable for an admin position in an international school and having a spouse in a high need position helps. You will be battling two things, though. One, many international schools like to promote from within whenever possible. While you will see ads for vice-principal positions, a number of them will go to internal candidates. The second issue is the lack of overseas experience. International teachers and students are different from US public school teachers. I have seen a number of stateside admin transition successfully overseas and I have seen a number fail. Do you research to understand the difference so you can be ready to discuss it at your interviews.

The best way to land a position is to keep and open mind and be willing to consider a wide range of schools and countries. What at first glance may not appear to be a desirable country or school can be a great opportunity. Obviously, the top European and Asian schools will have the most competition, but do not be deterred from applying as you never know what they are looking for as BlueJay's success indicates.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

@suzieQ

Which professional organisations for educational leadership would you recommend? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

I am a member of the Australian Council of Educational Leaders (ACEL), mainly because a transformational principal at a former school encouraged and paid for the middle management tier* to attend at least one professional learning workshop offered by this organisation annually. ACEL also produces a range of professional readings and online journals.... including access to a subsidised 'book of the month'. In addition, they regularly advertise networking conferences; currently for example, they are promoting The First Asia Pacific Congress on Creating Inclusive Schools and another event called Being A Global Digital Citizen. Even if you miss attending, you will have access to papers and possibly more. ACEL also offers mentoring/coaching for new leaders - which is very important for isolated schools.

I feel sure that from your USA context, there must be similar very worth while organisations, but if not, there is nothing to stop anyone join this one.

* A decade later, a number of us are now working as deputies or principals, at least two of us in International Schools.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

@SusieQ

Thanks for the info. I will look into it.

Cheers.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I would register with ISS and make it clear to them what kind of position you are looking for. I'd do that now because like others said administrative positions go quickly so you probably wouldn't get anything for this year. However, once you're registered with them you'll be able to get interviews, attend job fairs, and see what jobs come up. Then you can pursue the ones you want. This would take time and makes it more viable for the 2015 time frame you have set. I think your experience in administration combined with your wife's skills set will make you strong candidates, even without the international experience. I'd be honest about that in interviews and let them know how excited you and your wife are to embark on international teaching/admin. I think your attitude/demeanor will be what set you apart. I'd also list all your duties and responsibilities with action verbs and be able to seamlessly throw those in at the interviews. The key is your leadership skills, not where you've been. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try to email some international administrators and see how they think international students are different compared to their home countries. That insight would also be helpful to talk about during interviews. You might have to start at a smaller school or less desirable location when starting out, but I don't give much credence to the "tier" system. I think it's all about the fit and you might find a smaller school is the right fit for you and your family. Good luck.