UNIS New York

SalmaM

UNIS New York

Post by SalmaM »

Hi

Can anyone tell me anything about UNIS New York. What is the school like to work at, teaching package, etc. I imagine it's a very expensive city to work and live in, does the sdalary reflect this? I have worked internationally in the Middle East for 7 years now and looking for a move.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Mac1030

Post by Mac1030 »

You will be fine in NYC as long as you don't live in Manhattan or the gentrified areas of Brooklyn, where rents have become astronomical. NYC is quite affordable if you are willing to take the bus or train in. It seems silly to spend the greater portion of your income on rent. You can find more space and often better quality housing with some distance.

You probably won't save as much as you would in the ME or SE Asia where packages can be big and include housing. If you are frugal, you might might manage 10-15 K in savings. It all depends on your lifestyle. If you aren't living the high life day in and out, you can still factor in some travel over Christmas and the summer.

UNIS is a good school- facilities are okay but it has a very international student body (parents are usually diplomats or in int'l business). This means parents are often well educated and quite involved- though extremely busy they do expect a quality education. It's a true international school as opposed to many of the mostly host nation populations of other "international" schools. The school is near the water, a bit off to the east side. The school is focused on PD, which is great for staff and the close ties with IB mean workshops are held there often. They are open to creative teachers and are big on collaboration. Teachers at UNIS tend to be very experienced and they have also hired some alumni. This is not a school for people who want to take it easy. As a superficial aside- the cafeteria food there is amazing, haha!