Hong Kong Salary

IAMBOG

Hong Kong Salary

Post by IAMBOG »

Have been given rough out of a package. It comes to HKD480,000, including flight allowance, and accommodation. Basically, it HKD480,000 all in, no extras except medical.

Thoughts? We are both teachers with two small kids, so we'll be on close to HKD1,000,000 between us.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

In Hong Kong, the accommodation is the kicker. I use this website to get a general idea of the cost but online listings do not tend to be very accurate in terms of what properties are actually available. http://www.squarefoot.com.hk/

If you think you can make the housing work with your package, then the rest should fall into place.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Iambog,

If that includes an apartment, then that is a fair package. If that is an accommodation allowance built into the salary then it is on the low end of the scale. This is what I was told by a co-worker who just transferred to our school in Shanghai from the one in HK
misskiwi

Re: Hong Kong Salary

Post by misskiwi »

Tdaley26 is spot on. I'm in HK and working at an international school here. If accom is included, you'll be okay. If it's not, it's pretty low, unless you are very inexperienced. DCgirl is right that accom is the killer, and the website she's given is spot on. You'll be paying at least HK20,000 probably for a reasonably sized place (will still be a shoebox!!) which is half your salary!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Hong Kong Salary

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

misskiwi wrote:
> Tdaley26 is spot on. I'm in HK and working at an international school here.
> If accom is included, you'll be okay. If it's not, it's pretty low, unless
> you are very inexperienced. DCgirl is right that accom is the killer, and
> the website she's given is spot on. You'll be paying at least HK20,000
> probably for a reasonably sized place (will still be a shoebox!!) which is
> half your salary!
--------------------------
Well, half of one person's salary. With two teachers it may still be worth it, especially if you are quite keen to make the jump from Egypt. Try and figure a monthly budget, deduct flights etc and see what that would potentially leave you with every month.
Good luck.