Multiple Offers… timing and communication etiquette

Bellarex

Multiple Offers… timing and communication etiquette

Post by Bellarex »

We have two good schools that we're interested in, who we feel will both make us offers. They haven't yet, but we're preparing ourselves for the following scenario in case:

School A is our top choice and the hiring admin has said they will get back to us with a yes or no next week.
School B is our second choice, and we have a meeting with them tomorrow in which they may offer us positions. We would have 4 days to respond.

We don't want to turn down School B unless we know we have something with School A. Should we contact the hiring admin from School A and be honest with where we're at with things?

Any admin or people with experience in these types of timing issues (even though they're good ones) have any advice?
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

No harm in contacting School A, stating that they are the top choice for you, and that you have been presented with an offer from another school but must give them an answer by <date>.

Without pressuring them to make a decision, simply ask where they are in the decision-making process and if it would be feasible to have an offer from them before that date?

Be kind and respectful in your correspondence, but try to get an answer from them. And word your request in the positive - "will their offer be coming before that date," not "can you tell us yes or no?"

My 2 cents.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

"Will your offer be coming before this date?" Is not positive. It is overconfident and arrogant.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

This scenario played out for me during the fair last week. I was very up front and honest w/ the school that made me the Saturday morning offer from my very first interview about the region of the world I was most interested in and they graciously gave me the time to hear back from other schools. When it was time to speak to School B - I was quite clear with them that I had a solid offer from A, but B was my "frontrunner" in terms of what I wanted to do at this point in my career. I think recruiters appreciate honesty and the sometimes the tough scenarios we find ourselves in, particularly when there is a "bird in hand".

Whatever you decide - ALWAYS get back to both schools. I could not find School A in their rooms after I made my decision, but still made it a point to email and leave a card. One member of their team did write me back and I think that professional contact will be maintained.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Accept the offer from A and if B makes an offer afterwards, tell A you changed your mind.
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

Most schools I've spoken to have said they'll let me know by the end of the month. Two schools, however, have both said if I receive an offer from another school, but am more interested in working for them, then to let them know and they'll see what they can do. I imagine other schools also think this but have not explicitly said so. My plan is, should I receive an offer from a "B" choice school, is to email the "A" schools and explain I have had an offer, however they remain my first choice, and would they be able to let me know the outcome of my application a little earlier. If they want you, then they will, and if they say you need to wait, chances are they are not that interested in the first place!
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

@pgrass: Point taken.

My overall stance was that Bellarex should let school A know that another school has made an offer and determine if they (School A) can provide an answer earlier than originally mentioned.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

I emailed and got back a favorable response that they would let me know within my window of opportunity, as well as a compliment for being open and honest. Thanks for your advice!
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Ignore higgsboson. International schools are a small community and your integrity is vitally important.

Reneging on a verbal commitment can lead to the major search firms refusing to accept you as a candidate and admin have long memories. You never know where you will run into them again.

In this case, being open and honest with all schools led to a favorable outcome.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

Not to worry, I was raised better than that.