British School Tokyo

Schmedz

British School Tokyo

Post by Schmedz »

I can't find any reviews for this school on the site.

Does anyone know anything about it? There is a post in which I am interested, website looks impressive, inspection report very good...

Anyone know anything about the area of a Tokyo in which it is situated?

As always, your comments are valued!
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Anyone? :D
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

From what I've heard it's a very good school. It's located in Shibuya which is right in the heart of Tokyo. Lots of things to do and see as you can imagine and a big expat community.
One thing I did hear is that the head drops by randomly and will give your lesson an Ofsted type observation (not sure if this is true or not).
I imagine the package is competitive and it is a very good place to work.
Hallam_Globetrotter

Post by Hallam_Globetrotter »

Although I didn't work there I was in Tokyo for 3 years and had some interaction with staff and visited the secondary campus on occasion for sports. The secondary campus is a group of buildings leased from Showa Women's University on their Setagaya Campus. The primary school is in Shibuya, I believe this site belongs to the school, I may be wrong.

From what my wife tells me, who is Japanese from Tokyo and grew up near Setagaya, the British School isn't held in the same high regards as ASIJ, YIS, or Saint Mary's.

You might class it as lower tier 1, although the lack of facilities at Showa campus and the difficulty of having to work around the University make it an upper tier 2 for me.

Aside, living and working in Tokyo is a dream. Would I take a job at BST? In a heartbeat.

Go for it.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Thank you for the info and confirming the 'feeling' I had from website and initial Skype interview 😊
Now to convince my eldest child she want to go to Japan...crossing fingers I get the job, of course.
Hallam_Globetrotter

Post by Hallam_Globetrotter »

Fingers crossed, if you have anymore questions about life in Japan feel free to PM me.