What's Your Preferred Source for Jobs

shadowjack

What's Your Preferred Source for Jobs

Post by shadowjack »

In my job searches, I tend to sign up with Search and use TIEonline as my alternate.

I have heard some people emphatically recommend TeachAway, JoyJobs, and other sites/sources, along with, naturally, ISS.

What are your preferred job search sources? Do you go solo and do it all yourself? Do you use Search only? Network via friends and to heck with the rest?

Looking forward to responses and learning about new resources!
vettievette

Re: What's Your Preferred Source for Jobs

Post by vettievette »

[quote="shadowjack"]In my job searches, I tend to sign up with Search and use TIEonline as my alternate.

I have heard some people emphatically recommend TeachAway, JoyJobs, and other sites/sources, along with, naturally, ISS.

What are your preferred job search sources? Do you go solo and do it all yourself? Do you use Search only? Network via friends and to heck with the rest?

Looking forward to responses and learning about new resources![/quote]

I used a combo of Search, TIE, friends, and Facebook groups for international school teachers. One of my really good friends at my current school got her job via joyjobs. She said it was okay, but will probably apply at Search for next run.
hairsonfire

Post by hairsonfire »

Search only for me...signed up in September, paperwork completed by October, searched for jobs in November, school found me and Mrs. HOF in December...it wasn't on our radar but it matched just about everything we were looking for in a first experience.

Overall, very happy with Search...I can't say there was much personal service, but the database got us our first international posts, and for that we are quite thankful.
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

Have a look on TiC recruitment, teacher horizons, and COIS as well. I tend to fly solo but these agencies have had some interesting positions.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

We signed up for Search and TIE. To be honest, nothing from TiE has caught my interest, except the posts that appear on Search as well. The database has been invaluable. I don't think I'll even use TIE next time.
zanyplum

Post by zanyplum »

I got my first job using TIE, my second job via Skype after applying directly to the school, and my latest job last week at Search BKK. I am really happy with my Search experience, and am going to an amazing school. I also made a lot of good connections that could help me the next time I am ready to move on (which may not be for a while). I had a really good time, and had no complaints. I am glad I went!
starsdad

Post by starsdad »

Of my six IS postings, the first was acquired through a local newspaper ad, the next three were through attendance at ISS and ECIS job fairs, and the last two were through the Search Associates database (one was an in-school interview and the other a Skype interview). I feel that I interview well in-person, so I am off to the Search fair in London next week. I have applied online to several schools recently, but even though I have IBDP and MYP experience, I have only one 'pre-interview' to show for it, so I am confident that more opportunities will present themselves at the fair when I am able to speak directly to schools, as this has been my experience in the past. So, my preferred method is still the immediacy of the face-to-face interview.
Cherrypop

Post by Cherrypop »

I just signed up for TIE and am a little confused as to how I should go about applying for positions. Is it better to sign up for the extra instant job notification to have the option to let the schools know I am interested so that they could see my resume, or should I forgo that and just apply to the schools directly from their website?
marieh

Post by marieh »

Cherrypop - We used TIE exclusively for our job search but only bothered with the database and not the instant notification. Once we identified a school that we were interested in, we sent our CVs directly to the director via email.
Cherrypop

Post by Cherrypop »

Thank you marieh,

I'll do just that!