PYP Rejection

journey61

PYP Rejection

Post by journey61 »

So, can anyone enlighten me on how to break in to the PYP club? Most of my rejection emails state, "Sorry, you must have PYP experience to apply for this position." How does one get PYP experience if none of the PYP schools will even interview you?

I've read up on the PYP a bit and there seems to be a lot of overlap with non-PYP. Many of the schools use Everyday Math or Investigations Math (both of which I've taught), many use Reader's and Writer's Workshop (both of which I've taught), Many use FOSS science, (Which I've taught), etc. etc. Are there schools out there that are willing to look at more than just those 3 letters? I don't mean to sound snarky, but I'm not sure how to get PYP experience if no PYP schools will interview me.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: PYP Rejection

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="journey61"]So, can anyone enlighten me on how to break in to the PYP club? Most of my rejection emails state, "Sorry, you must have PYP experience to apply for this position." How does one get PYP experience if none of the PYP schools will even interview you?

I've read up on the PYP a bit and there seems to be a lot of overlap with non-PYP. Many of the schools use Everyday Math or Investigations Math (both of which I've taught), many use Reader's and Writer's Workshop (both of which I've taught), Many use FOSS science, (Which I've taught), etc. etc. Are there schools out there that are willing to look at more than just those 3 letters? I don't mean to sound snarky, but I'm not sure how to get PYP experience if no PYP schools will interview me.[/quote]
-------------------------------------------
It is a bit of a catch 22. Many schools will hire teachers with no PYP experience, but it is sometimes a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

One way to maximize your chances of this would be to expand your search to include IB or even candidate schools that are a little further down the food chain (i.e. newer, smaller, in less desirable locations). Consider it an investment in the future and/or paying your dues that could open up many doors for you in the future.
Mac1030

Post by Mac1030 »

wrldtrvlr123's advice is spot on. Schools that are candidates for PYP certification would probably take you. You also have to open when it comes to school locations.

Here's a tip- I've got friends working in Korea and China and they say there a bunch of these positions available at several schools there. A lot of them will take teachers with no PYP background and train them.

Are you going to a fair?
journey61

Post by journey61 »

Thanks wrldtrvlr . . . I'm going to the Boston ISS Fair so maybe I'll find myself in the right place there. :-) Just don't want to stand in line to ask for an interview only to hear the same broken record. Maybe I can chat a few schools up at the presentations and get a feel for who's open to an interview. I'm really pretty open to smaller schools, newer schools, etc. Guess I'll have to wait and see how things pan out.
journey61

Post by journey61 »

Yea, Mac . . . am going to Boston . . . I'm open to Mexico, Central/South America, Caribbean, Asia, Europe. Also happen to be a gay man so not into Africa, the Middle East or the parts of Asia where I can get thrown in jail for being gay. :wink:
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

I'm in the same position. I did manage to get one interview by jumping the gun and getting my application in before the post was well-advertised. DOn't think I got the job though - they've asked me to wait until the end of Jan so they can't be that keen. However, I did learn to talk about concept-based learning, and have since gone off and researched the work of HL Erickson, so I can now add some of the theory to my letter and show my initiative in finding out more. You could try that?
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Journey, since you're open to South America, Colegio Americano in Quito hires people without IB experience (like me) and has its own intensive training program. The school is very well-established and has a full-on IB programs. I'm sure they'll be in Boston, and they often hire immediately.
Kali

Post by Kali »

Breaking in to the PYP circuit can be a bit difficult. One thing I did was get intro PYP training that way I had the chance to wrap my head around the theory and the lingo.

When I applied for jobs the following year I crossed my fingers and in interviews mentioned all the ways that my teaching connects back to PYP even though I had not been teaching in a PYP school (use of inquiry learning etc.. One school decided to take the risk and that is how I got my foot in the door.

If you can't attend training in person I know the IB offers an intro course online called Making the PYP Happen. You can look into that. While training is pricey going that route helped me get into the PYP circuit.
journey61

Post by journey61 »

Thanks for the tip bird, I'll check out HL Erickson. I, too, have had an interview via Skype and am supposed to interview in person in Boston with one school. But it's not an IB school so we'll see what happens. It's at least in an area of SA that I think I'd like.

heyteach, I got a request for an interview from Colegio Americano. I did find it odd though that they have no fall break or spring break and a very short winter break. But, Quito sounds cool so I'll see what they have to say.

Thanks for the advice Kali . . . I'll check that out.
sid

Post by sid »

Our school hires lots of people without IB experience. Most importantly, we look for people who are already aligned with some of the core teaching beliefs, people who we think will have a smooth transition. If you're textbook-bound, married to percentage grades, teach a subject rather than students... it might not work for us.
And we also identify certain positions where we really have to have someone who is already experienced, for example if they would be joining a weaker team or if there will be several new team members, then at least some of those new members must be experienced. But if the new person would join a strong, experienced team, then we will happily add a new member who has the right ethos but not experience.
journey61

Post by journey61 »

Sid, thanks for your response . . . it truly gives me hope!
Mac1030

Post by Mac1030 »

Loved Colegio Americano in Quito...great students and a very positive work environment in terms of collegial and administrative support. What heyteach said is true- they will provide training! Ecuador is beautiful though Quito may not be everyone's cup of tea. I personally thought it was a vibrant place, but a lot of this was because I made close Ecuadorian friends outside of work and they knew the ins and outs.

However, I did not love the salary scale in S. America. Only a few schools pay well and if your goal is to save, the low salaries in certain countries will not help those of you who want to save.

I would go back to FCAQ in a heartbeat if they paid more. The job I have now allows me to save around $20-25K a year and that is after travel during school holidays breaks! I don't love the country I'm in but sometimes you can't have it all, can you?
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Sid and Kali give sound advice. I was hired under similar conditions as Kali. I did a self-financed IB course and then was given a chance by a school who probably recognized my commitment. As Sid implied, there were other more experienced teachers in the mix, so this lessened the schools risk. Right place at right time also had an impact but it is possible.