Graduating from BEd in 2014, looking for some real advice

1kingston

Graduating from BEd in 2014, looking for some real advice

Post by 1kingston »

Hello everyone!

I'm graduating from a BEd in Ontario, Canada in April to teach Biology and Chemistry (grades 7-12)

I've already become a member of Search and I'm deciding whether or not I will attend the job fair in Toronto from Jan 24 - 26. The TORF job fair is also that weekend and waiting to here back from then on whether or not I have been accepted, I'll found out in a couple of days.

I am looking for some advice to represent myself as a viable candidate to possible employers even though I have no experience. If a school is going to hire a BEd candidate, what would they be looking for?

I am also curious of what I should expect over the next 8 months of applying to schools for jobs. When do most of the positions fill? Should I keep my eye out all the way until August?

For those of you who don't know, the Canadian market is completely saturated and it is almost impossible to get a supply job in Ontario. My city graduated something like 300 candidates last year and hired only 13 people on the supply list. I know people who have been in the supply list for 8 years without a full-time job lol

And lastly, my first pick is to work in Korea since I attended exchange there before and I want to continue learning the language (it is a life goal of mine to become fluent). I eventually want to end up back there for an extended period of time. I am extremely motivated, and I love teaching. I am willing to do a lot to get a position next year, especially in Korea. Please lend me some direction even if it is some absurd highly dangerous way of getting an employers attention ;)

Thanks for everything, and if you have any informative threads I should read please post them. I'll keep searching around the forum for some answers .
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

1kingston,

first of all, if you go to Korea, do NOT go to a Hagwon. Teaching ESL in Korea will get you nowhere on the international circuit and won't count for any experience.

You should be a viable candidate for schools in places like Kuwait and Egypt.

I would encourage you to apply to places such as AIS-Cairo or Cairo West, the ESOL schools and in Kuwait, AISK, ASK, BBS, UAS, etc. Avoid the really dodgy ones.

The best thing you can do, RIGHT NOW, is go to www dot tieonline dot com and sign up. Start checking out science positions. You will find a lot of jobs

Biology 21 jobs. Chem 26 jobs. Science 62 jobs (that would be more MS science up to grade 10.

The second thing is to sign up for the paid side of ISR. Yes, you have to read between the lines. Yes, you have to realize that more unhappy teachers post than happy ones. But...if a school has 8 reviews and they are all damning in the same way...that tells you something.

The main thing to keep in mind is you have to start somewhere. If you have strong classroom management skills and are good with relating to students, you can do quite well your first post and start working your way up the ladder.

If you have a Christian ethos, apply to the international schools in Korea - try the one in Taejon. Many Korean IS (international schools) have a Christian ethos. Also try Hong Kong.

Good luck!

Good luck.

Also sign up for the fairs.
sitka

Post by sitka »

I was in the same boat three years ago (except with a British Columbia certificate). Many of the Canadian curriculum schools will let you jump right in without experience. That is where I started.

http://cicic.ca/716/canadian-schools-ou ... ada.canada
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

There are plenty of third tier international schools in China that would hire you as a new teacher in a high need area like science. They'd be places to get a few years of experience before moving on. The benefits and working conditions may not be great.

And good news, there are Korean students at just about every single international school out there so you can use the language during informal times with students. I actually think being able to speak Korean well enough to talk with parents about their children' school issues could be a big bonus at IS not in Korea. At schools with a large Korean student population. I know it's an issue we struggle with at my school. We end up speaking to Korean parents in English or Chinese, which can be problematic.

But listen to Shadowjack, he's right on with good advice.

Do Canadians still go teach in the northern native communities? You can . with the Mounties.
1kingston

Post by 1kingston »

@Shadowjack Thanks! There is no way I'm going to teach English in Korea, not even for a couple of years because of you exact point - no teaching experience.

I don't mean to sound picky but I don't think I would ever go to Kuwait or Egypt. Yes I am sure I am misinformed about these countries, but my mom would have a heart attack every single day I was there. I just don't think I could do that. I will also look at TIE online, but is there much of a difference in the database than with search associates? I signed up with them just the other day and they have about 120 jobs Biology and chemistry alone.

I have also just signed up to the paid version of ISR

I am catholic christian and I think a lot of the schools are evangelical christian, I can ask the schools directly if that matters but if you have the answer then let me know.

The only fair I could realistically go to is the Toronto fair which is I think the worst one out of them all.

@Sitka
that's awesome I had no idea about those schools! It seems there are a bunch of them. Are these not considered international schools? that's so cool and thanks for the info. I wonder if I could apply to a BC school in Korea even though I am from Ontario, I'll look into it.

@eion_padraig
The only thing I'm considered about with China are the internet restrictions. I run a blog as a part time job on the side and I'm not sure if it would be blocked. Other than I see a lot of job openings there so I will definitely apply. I think I'm going to shoot for applying to a job a day over the next month just to get my foot in the door.

That's great I didn't think about being able to converse with Korean students at the international schools. I just assumed there wouldn't be very many at all.
Yes, I believe you can go up north and that's something I'm also looking into, but I'd rather get international school experience :)
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Here's a complete list of BC offshore schools. There are Ontario teachers working at my BC school. They have no problem taking new graduates.

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/offshore_scho ... s_list.pdf

Concerning internet restrictions in China, get yourself a VPN from Astrill. It works just fine.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

The best piece of advice ever given to my wife and I was to be open to going anywhere. I understand you not wanting to go to Kuwait or Egypt but a job is a job. Also, your concerns about China are well thought out but as IAMBOG points out there is an easy work around, in fact I'm using it right now.
JustBean

Post by JustBean »

1kingston- Just curious if Search is aware that you are not graduating until April 2014? I only ask because my husband (who is in the same boat as you, graduating in April in Ontario too) signed up with them, upon further correspondence was then told that they could not actually do anything for him until he graduates (eg let him go to the fairs or help promote him to schools). He was refunded no problem and plans on signing back up with them again once he does finish up in April.
Not trying to stir up trouble, just wanted to make you aware of a potential issue for going to fairs.

All the best to you in your job search!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

JustBean

the biggest advantage is being able to consult the SEARCH database, a resource that is coveted by international teachers :-)
sitka

Post by sitka »

[quote="1kingston"]@Sitka
that's awesome I had no idea about those schools! It seems there are a bunch of them. Are these not considered international schools? that's so cool and thanks for the info. I wonder if I could apply to a BC school in Korea even though I am from Ontario, I'll look into it.
[/quote]

To work at a BC school, you need to have your BC certification. Depending on where your certification is from (within Canada), it can be difficult or easy to get. There is an agreement with Alberta which makes the process relatively hassle-free. Ontario is relatively easy as well. The process takes about 45 days to transfer.

Canadian curriculum schools are a good place to get your first experience due to a shortage of BC-certified teachers abroad. Nearly every school hires brand new teachers every year.

I hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

When I made an inquiry at one of the BC schools overseas, they practically offered me a job on the spot. It was pretty funny.

I get the impression that they run a lot of new teachers, with older teachers from Canada who are new to the international scene.

Not sure if you use these two sites, but here are two:

http://jobsineducation.com/

http://educationcanada.com/

I get updates from the latter, never looked at the former.

The second one I know has some international jobs listed.

The most important advice I can give you is that if you really want to teach, go somewhere outside the city, far far away, and teach for a couple of years.

If you can last through that, you can pretty much teach anywhere. If you can't...hmmmm....
JustBean

Post by JustBean »

@shadowjack
Good to know! Thank you :)
Our international teaching is focusing on only two countries, so it is a bit of a different journey for our family. My husband has all the international schools that he is interested in from both countries on file with all their info. etc and a CV tailored to each one accordingly. He will just keep trying to email the schools directly when they have openings (elementary). In the mean time, get experience here in ON teaching...we have also been looking into an IB certificate that might help in getting a job next year.

Fingers crossed for everyone that hasn't heard anything yet and YAY! congratulations to those that have found what they were looking for :)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

JustBean - out of curiousity, are you a teacher, or only your husband?
JustBean

Post by JustBean »

@Shadowjack- Just my husband...we hope to relocate to my home country (Switzerland) permanently...or get some experience nearby in Germany.
:)
1kingston

Post by 1kingston »

Thanks for the awesome info shadowjack and sitka. Your guidance has helped me a lot

JustBean, they do know that I am not graduating until April 2014, it must depend on who your husband's advisor is. Perhaps try switching advisors? I chose Robert Barlas and he is quite aware of my situation. I think the only other one for Ontario is Mr. Sparks.