Let the Games Begin!

sid

Post by sid »

There's a rogue. He's been placing CVs in folders without being registered. He's been reported and his name is now splashed all over the recruiters lounge.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

2 interviews? That's rough. I've been to the BKK January fair 3 times.

First year, I had zero IB experience and no IB training. I didn't get any interviews.

Second year, I had IB training but still no experience. I got 2 interviews but no offers.

Third year, I had 2 years of IB experience (MYP & DP) and 2 course of IB training. I got 8 interviews and was offered (and accepted) a job at a great school.

So, Choirguy, what is your experience? Do you have any IB?
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi Durianfan,

IB experience: 5 years DP experience

BUT, remember, British system experience and looking hard for choral jobs. The ones I thought I could get interviews for either went away before I got a chance to ask at the tables or were in schools that didn't hire single teachers w/dependents.

Now on to tomorrow and hitting my interviews hard…as always, we'll see what tomorrow brings!
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

We are finding things difficult in Bangkok too. We're a teaching couple with 15 years experience, certified, AP and IB experience. We scheduled 3 interviews. Two turned out to be dead ends as the school filled one of our positions before the interview. The third is tomorrow and at a very desirable school. We've got our fingers crossed.

We found that there were not a lot of schools with both of our positions available and we also found a lot of "we'll take a look at your resume and get back to you" instead of scheduling an interview. If we don't qualify for an interview, who does? Very frustrating but trying to be optimistic.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Last year, as I recall, there were a couple of rogues (or rouges, as PG says :-) at the fair :-)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Darn I hate double posts. So I decided to address justlooking :-)

About going and not finding anything - friends went awhile back. Positions didn't match for them at that fair/that year. It was tough, but sometimes that's how it works at the moment.

Have you looked at TIEonline and seen what is out there at non-Search schools as well?
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

You might want to go to the social and network a bit. I know people who didn't get interviews at the sign-up but went to the social and were able to acquire interviews. Doesn't always happen, but you could get lucky.

The BKK January fair mostly targets singles without dependents and teaching couples. If you have kids, then you are probably going to have to wait unless you are in a high-demand area or the school is small and growing and needs students.

Go the presentations too - talk to the recruiters afterwards and you might be able to get an interview that way. You never know.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi Durianfan,

IB experience: 5 years DP experience

BUT, remember, British system experience and looking hard for choral jobs. The ones I thought I could get interviews for either went away before I got a chance to ask at the tables or were in schools that didn't hire single teachers w/dependents.

Now on to tomorrow and hitting my interviews hard…as always, we'll see what tomorrow brings!
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

I am hoping that tomorrow after a last round of interviews, I can finally eat some street food. I've eaten Thai nearly every day - but have stayed away from those glorious carts near my hotel because the last thing I need is to risk feeling ill. Fingers crossed I get somethin' good and try some of those tasty salads and sambal in plastic bags!
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

What's going on with jobs? Dying to hear!
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

[quote="newchapter"]What's going on with jobs? Dying to hear![/quote]
Trying to keep it hush, hush for right now until I sign something since you never know who is reading this. I hope everyone else at the fair is doing well!
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

whisper whisper: OK, Vettievette, I won't tell! ;)
Smurf

Post by Smurf »

I've signed for a tier 1 school in Thailand!!!!!
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Congrats to all those who have secured positions at this fair, but for me, it was not meant to be.

Still, being a positive type, the Fair was one more experience in moving me towards my next post, wherever that may be.

I did in the end have one serious interview and one that I felt was not very genuine (from a tier 1 school) as the recruiter made me wait for about 25 minutes from my scheduled time and then informed of something that I assume would be a deal-breaker for just about anyone (only 1 of 3 dependents paid for, so I'd end up paying for 2 airfares and one tuition fee). Still, it was my fault, as the policy WAS stated on the Search page, so my fault for not noticing it.

What is amazing, though, is that at the end of all of this, there is now an opportunity that had nothing to do with the Fair that has popped up today…fate? Who knows…we'll see over the next few months and I'll keep looking around the world…it's a big place!
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

Whew. Contract emailed last night. Verbally confirmed and accepted and same via email. Sending it back tonight when I return from flight. Great "surprise" school with nice package and, most importantly, a well-thought out approach to teaching and learning.