Many shools not listed at the fairs

counselme

Many shools not listed at the fairs

Post by counselme »

Hello there, Than ks for all the feedback from my other posts. I am enjoying this website and gaining a lot of information. I am new to the international hiring process.
I have noticed on TIE online, other recruiting sites and also through the International School Reviews listed that there are dozens of schools offering jobs that aren't attending the fairs.

I wonder, then, how are those many many schools not attending the recruiting fairs hiring and is there something about those who go to the fairs and those who don't that I am missing? Do the best schools go to fairs and mediocre ones hire through Skype or email?

Is there any thread to those who go and those who hire otherwise?
Any thoughts?
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

No, there is not a hard and fast rule about how good the schools are and how they recruit. There are good schools will hire by Skype and crappy schools attend fairs, and vice versa. Also, remember that a number of different groups host hiring fairs. There is Search Associates, ISS, AASSA, UNI, and Queen' University (Canada). There may be others to so schools may attend any number of those fairs.

Based on this post and another one, It seems you trying to figure out a way to identify quality schools, which is a smart thing to do. It's also hard, which is on reason ISR can charge money for the reviews. And while I think the paid section can be helpful, it isn't always enough. It helps a lot to have friends already working in international schools. Many people looking for the first time don't have that option.

Here are some things I pay attention to when deciding on quality of a school. No one factor is enough though, and you need to go with your gut.

1. Are they accredited by an international agency (WASC, SACS, CIS, etc)? Accreditation takes time and effort. Schools need to have a certain level of organization to make it happen.

2. Are they non-profit? While there may be good for-profit schools to work for, I've found higher levels of satisfaction from friends working at well run non-profits than well-run for profit schools.

3. How long have they been around? Most of the places you hear about being top tier have been around long enough to get over initial growing pains. Established schools can certainly be stagnant, which is another problem, but I think longevity of a school can be a sign of quality.

4. Do they have a relationship with embassies or major multinational employers? If they do, often this means there is a more steady flow of income and financial support.

5. What other schools do they have relationships with (sports conferences, cultural events)? Generally schools try to collaborate with like quality schools if possible.

6. Look at student results on outside examinations (AP, IB, SAT, etc).

7. What universities admit their students? Are they being admitted to high quality, selective colleges and universities?

8. What kind of professional development opportunities do they provide? Is there a guaranteed budget?