Proceedures /protocols at hiring fairs?

counselme

Proceedures /protocols at hiring fairs?

Post by counselme »

I haven't been to a hiring fair. I was wondering what a typical day would look like?
How do you get an interview at the fair? Does one have interviews/appts. with a number of schools before one leaves for the international fair, or does one show up and see what schools would like to provide an interview on the day? In that case, do you have a chance to research schools that want to interview you on the spot?
As I read through the blogs and here about people being offered jobs at the end of a day or fair, I am left wondering how HR contact candidates? Does one need to get a mobile phone in that country to wait for that call or is one asked to return at the end of the day/fair and sign a contract?
For those of us out here who are new to fairs, procedures /protocols, what is a typical day or weekend in the life of a candidate at a fair?
Thanks in advance.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Proceedures /protocols at hiring fairs?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="counselme"]I haven't been to a hiring fair. I was wondering what a typical day would look like?
How do you get an interview at the fair? Does one have interviews/appts. with a number of schools before one leaves for the international fair, or does one show up and see what schools would like to provide an interview on the day? In that case, do you have a chance to research schools that want to interview you on the spot?
As I read through the blogs and here about people being offered jobs at the end of a day or fair, I am left wondering how HR contact candidates? Does one need to get a mobile phone in that country to wait for that call or is one asked to return at the end of the day/fair and sign a contract?
For those of us out here who are new to fairs, procedures /protocols, what is a typical day or weekend in the life of a candidate at a fair?
Thanks in advance.[/quote]

----------------------------------

Hi. I'm sure someone will jump in and give you some answers. In the meantime, there have been some great past threads on here regarding the fairs. I guess this is a great time of the year to repost this one by Shadowjack:

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... fair+diary
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Awwww, thanks wrldtvlr123! Not sure if I will be out on the hustings again next year - I expect I am in a 3+ pattern right now, but I definitely will reactivate Search next year just to see what is out there...

Counselme - interviews can happen before the fair, after the fair, or during the fair. Some people will sign contracts at the fair, others will sign before the fair or after the fair. Some job offers will be rescinded, some teachers offered jobs will decline for various reasons.

Read my postings, particularly on the day 1 and 2, to get a sense of how it works. Basically, don't apply to a school that you have no intention of going to. I had a late interview with a school last year who asked me why I applied to them - was it desperation? Where did I stand with them? I was honest, as you can read. I told them they weren't my first choice, but that they presented well at their presentation and they interested me. It was definitely a place that was one of my second choices. All the admin I met seemed pretty with it and concerned about right fits for the school - not desperation hiring, like some.

HR contacts the hires after the fair - usually starting in late March or early April - some as late as May. Contracts are emailed or faxed, then signed, scanned and returned or fax returned.

If you are an in-demand candidate you can have 10+ interviews. If you are not in demand, or part of a hard to fit teaching couple, you might have NO interviews. That happened to friends of mine a few years back - went to a big fair and ZIP! Luckily they had booked a back up fair just in case and a job came about from that one.

All in all, it is hectic, demanding, stressful, energizing, tiring, and agonizing - all in one!

As I said in another post - good luck to everybody recruiting this year!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I have always signed contracts at the fair. Interview, second interview, job offer, job acceptance and contract signing-sometimes all within 24 hours.

Depending on how old you are it, the fair experience and particularly the interview sign up period might remind you of signing up for college courses. It can be like a large cattle call.