Cambridge vs. BKK fair

newchapter

Cambridge vs. BKK fair

Post by newchapter »

I know this is one of those questions that can't be answered but just wanted to start a dialogue.

I just had a Skype interview at a great school but they are going to BKK fair...so now worried job will get scooped up....but I'm thinking that if I WAS going to the BKK fair that I'd be bummed I wasn't going to the Cambridge fair because maybe admins wait until that fair...

I'm sure there's no real rhyme or reason but it's all so maddening...
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Newchapter, there is no rhyme nor reason to the fairs or interviews. I interviewed at a fair, very well, I thought, for a position, only to be told that because of questions I had asked and comments I had made, that they were going to have to "rethink" the parameters of the position.

Never heard back - but then again, I accepted a different job at that fair anyways.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Thanks, shadowjack.

I'm totally rethinking my Skype interview and driving myself mad... I just have to let it be...there's a school out there somewhere that I want and wants me...we'll find each other! ;)
litgal

Post by litgal »

Wondering the same thing... I actually submitted a post about this but I don't see it.

My thoughts exactly Newchapter! Does anyone know how many fairs there are in Jan. before the Cambridge Search fair?? My assumption is that many many jobs will be taken in Bangkok and others before the end of this month. It seems like it is a first come first served operation... if you are not at the first fair of the recruiting season an opening you had been hoping to interview for can likely be gone.

I had two good Skype interviews as well (well at least I thought so!! :) ) but concerned about getting interviews in Cambridge or having those positions filled before even getting the chance....

Have to keep telling myself to have Newchapter's attitude!!
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

You're not the only ones. My wife and I are signed up for the Cambridge fair, but were hoping to land something great so that we didn't have to go. We turned down offers in Egypt, and had a good interview with a decent ME school, but I really want to go to the fair for the experience and the possibility of much better offers. It's gonna cost us nearly $1000 to go, though, which is tough for us at the present time. We haven't heard much from the 40 schools we've applied to, so we're in the starting to sweat stage.
senator

Post by senator »

There are SIX Search Job Fairs before Cambridge PLUS the ISS Fairs.

Cambridge, I think, will become in the near future, a fair mainly for newbies.

Search states that at last year's Cambridge, 80% of candidates received at least one offer and 53% accepted an offer. What does that tell you?

It's all pretty much pure luck. You my get nothing or you may get an offer from a place you never thought of or you may get the exact job you've always dreamed of.

So stop worrying - it's going to happen or it's not going to happen.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Yes, there are 6 fairs before the Cambridge fairs but aren't they small and not all schools attend? I thought BKK and Cambridge were the big ones...just trying to make myself feel better! lol
Curitiba

Post by Curitiba »

I am feeling the same way as I see positions of interested getting filled. I keep reminding myself that the person filling that position might be opening one up that could also be of interested to me. Some schools in Europe don't need to turn their contracts in until late January or February, so there are more possibilities. It is my fourth job fair, and I still get this anxious feeling watching positions come and go. I guess it is the excitement of it all.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

For those people going to Cambridge - don't panic! Many people I know who go have success. There are really three BIG fairs for Search. The first is BKK. The second is London. The third is Cambridge. Some jobs will go at BKK - if they want a person, they will hire them there. But, I interviewed for many positions where the school didn't hire and continued on to London (or sent a small crew to Hong Kong). The three fairs attract many of the same schools, but not all are repeats. Each fair has new schools. Positions are filled, but others become vacant as new situations arise.

Above all, don't panic. I know it is normal to be worried and nervous - Lord knows I was this time last year (see my postings about my experiences at the BKK fair). But...in the end, it will all work out one way or another.

For those who are not successful at their chosen fair, it is not the end of the world. You have applied for other positions at schools that were not at the fair. Don't be surprised if one or more contacts you (I had two emails shortly after we returned from BKK about job positions).

If that doesn't happen, seriously consider signing up for TIEOnline for those late posts, keep checking Search for those late posts and seriously considering attending the Bethesda, Maryland fair in late June.

To all who are recruiting this year (which includes many of my friends and colleagues!), good luck!
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Thanks, Shadowjack!

I'm trying to think the same thing...figuring (or hoping, perhaps) that even contracts signed in BKK can fall through by the time the Cambridge fair comes around...people get sick...chicken out...or find a better or different position. I wouldn't be surprised if once in a blue moon a top tier school finds themselves stranded looking for someone in August! I'm sure it's rare but 'ya just never know!
senator

Post by senator »

Sorry, Guys. I wasn't trying to be pessimistic.

I was just trying to say that anything can happen. So don't worry too much.

Just go to your fair, interview, and do your best. That's all any of us can do.

Good luck and peace to all who are looking for positions.
litgal

Post by litgal »

Ughh.. I didn't realize that Cambridge was the last of the Search fairs... I guess it really doesn't matter because I would not have been able to afford to travel to either of the earlier ones. Ouch Bellarex!! $1000.00 to go to Cambridge... I suppose if I do get into an international gig I will find myself in the same position of having the expense to get to one of the earlier fairs in a couple of years. Luckily, Cambridge is very close to home for me and since this is the first time around i haven't really lost anything.... except that I was really hoping to get this new direction of my life going!!

Still thinking positive thoughts.... best to all you too!!

Does Search update the position openings in "real time" .. or is it up to the schools to update their online agency listings?? Trying to get a sense of what is already taken and how up to date the Search site is.
hairsonfire

Post by hairsonfire »

Litgal, Cambridge isn't the last Search fair...there are five or six after that. Granted, positions will be decreasing, but for those yet unfilled positions schools will likely be getting increasingly likely to fill positions on the spot.

Also, the Search database is manually updated by schools as often as they choose. I know that the position I accepted stayed visible on Search for a while, I assume the hiring . is not always the same person that updates online databases.

Best to you in your recruiting!

HOF
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I was just about to say the same thing, HOF. And, Litgal, read my last post...I do know that even during the fair there will be last minute postings...even from BKK and some earlier fairs positions may open back up...there are so many variables and things that can happen/go wrong in international teaching that could cause people to cancel their contracts. Skype hirings from November and December may cancel, too, opening up a position that wasn't even available at BKK!

Positive thoughts! ;)

Or, maybe we can collectively put a Hex on all those getting jobs at the BKK fair!
litgal

Post by litgal »

Thanks Newchapter and Hairsonfire!! Appreciate all the positive vibes and definitely will keep that at the forefront of my mind as I enter these waters....

It is a rollercoaster of emotions tho! Just when you think you may have hit on to something good and possible the communication goes dead!!