Bangkok 2014

justlooking

Post by justlooking »

Good going Briz.

Did you have lots of contact with schools before the fair? We'll be at Search in a few days and have not heard a thing (except for acknowledgement emails) from anyone. Hoping that things will come together for us at the fair.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi All,

will also be in BKK for Search on Wednesday morning. Haven't heard a thing other than acknowledgments. Worried that jobs are being snatched up at ISS fair (saw a job was deleted in my subject area today :( ) but still going in positive and going after 2 dream jobs and whatever else the fair brings!
Briz

Post by Briz »

Day 1. Interviewed like crazy. Had 8 face to face, a skype and 2 I cancelled. I had 1 interview on day 2 with a call back scheduled on day 3.

It was a great experience with a couple of offers and one just amazing chat about how to best position myself for the future.

My wife an I are spending the morning going over the plusses and minuses of all our potential decisions, one of which is the decision to go to search and keep recruiting. None of my offers feel like a perfect fit yet, and I think with a bit more shopping I can feel more confident. I will have a sitdown with my finalist. (Yes I am lucky to have multiple offers) and see if we can strike a deal (of course they do not like that and will have the option of pulling the offers, but that is the risk I might have to take.)

There are still quite a few amazing positions for me at search. Today will be a day of decisions.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Great Briz!

Pick the best offer for you and your family. Best of luck in your decision making.
chalupa

Post by chalupa »

This was my first fair and it was amazing!!

Before fair: Sent notifications of interest and emails to at least 30 schools. Got three responses. Schools 1 and 2 told me to drop by their tables at sign-up. School 3 said they wanted to meet me before the sign-ups.

Friday: interviewed with School 3. Went well, loved the school, but wanted a chance to see what else was out there.

Got an interview request from School 1, nothing from School 2.

Got interview requests from four more schools. Of these four schools, two were schools that I had no previous communication with. I declined these interviews. The other two schools were schools that I had sent emails to at least a month earlier, but got no response from until this day. I declined an interview with one of these schools, and accepted an interview with the other (school 4).

Saturday: At the sign-ups I schedule my interviews with school 1 and school 4. I go to school School 2's table and see that they no longer have an opening for the positions I'm seeking.

I have 3 hours before my interview with school 4. I prepare by scouring the internet, reading everything on their website. Oh my. I start to fall in love with this school just by reading about it. I'm practically dancing in my chair during the interview. Interview goes well. Feeling really good now.

I go to my interview with school 1, interview went well, but can't keep my mind off school 4. It just seemed like a perfect fit, and I knew I could convince them of that if given the chance. School 1 offers me a position. I thank them, tell them I'll think about it, then put a note in their box declining the offer.

Went to social event that evening and loved it!

Sunday: Had follow-up interview with school 3, the school that interviewed me before the sign-ups. He offers me a job. I love this school but I love the other one too, so I ask for a day to think about it.

Had follow-up interview with school 4. They offer me a job. I accept.

Monday: Hang out in Bangkok. Reflect on this experience, dream of the future. Feeling very fortunate and grateful for all the people who helped me with recommendations and advice.

So there you have it. A school sent me nothing for a month, then all of a sudden wants to interview me at the fair. That's the school that worked out for me. So I guess it's true, anything can happen at a fair.

I highly recommend going to a fair. There's just nothing like meeting and connecting in person.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Contracts Chalupa!

Now you can rest... :lol:
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Congratulatiions Chalupa!

Keep us posted Briz!
Briz

Post by Briz »

I have decided to recruit at search. I have 2 offers still on the table, but both are willing to let me go talk to a few people I want to see so that I can clear up any doubts. I actually told one of the schools no so I did not string them along, they made a counter offer to address the biggest concerns we had with the school and agreed to give me until the 12th.

I was impressed with the quality of schools at this fair, it far exceeded my expectations. I had several friends (new and old) take positions that were perfect for them.

Some drawbacks I saw or heard about. 1. Some directors come here without their decision makers and are not really able to make offers. 2. Some schools do #1 and then have decision makers conduct skype interviews. ISS does not have anything specifically set up to help with this, even though they got me a nice quiet area with low lighting, and my connection was horrible. 3. Some positions have few candidates and schools will wait until the search fair to make decisions.

I am a bit tired, but feel very well practiced. Congratulations to all who accepted positions, and good luck to those still in the hunt. Round 2 here we go.
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

Briz and Chalupa, would you say which subjects you teach? If you don't want to be very specific, can you give us a general idea?
litgal

Post by litgal »

Wow Briz and Chalupa... you have had quite the experience! Thanks so much for sharing how you balanced all the decisions. Shadowjack suggested that I read your post Chalupa, as I am feeling a bit anxious about getting to Search fair at end of month for the first time, like you. Sent probably around 30 letters as well, two Skype interviews and just a couple of follow up acknowledgments asking for additional information. Nothing to set up a face to face at the fair yet though.

Briz, even a counter offer after expressing concerns and declining!! Is that typical?? Are you in a high needs area?

Advice- if an offer is made but the financial package is not good for what one needs do you try to negotiate?? How best to handle that??

Congratulations to you both.. and others who have secured positions thus far. I find myself on this site a few times a day now!!
chalupa

Post by chalupa »

Justlooking, I am an upper elementary teacher, single with one dependent, no IB experience. Supposedly the early fairs favor couples with IB experience. Go figure.

Litgal, don't give up hope. You are going to Boston, right? It looks like tons of schools will be there. Fairs are full of surprises.