The "Social" Aspect of the Fairs

ChoirGuy

The "Social" Aspect of the Fairs

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi All,

for Fair veterans, how important do you think the arranged "Social" is on the first night? Do the recruiters attend this? Does it affect who they ask to interview? I want to do everything possible to maximize my chances. Any opinions on this one?
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Although I have never attended one myself, I have heard near-cinematic fair experiences from colleagues, who have been hired over conversations in elevators and washrooms (seriously), pretty unusual places to have a professional interview. So, "Social" sounds more aesthetic than those I have mentioned earlier.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Absolutely go to the social. Recruiters will be there and you can sit and talk with them in a less formal setting. Many interviews, second interviews, and even job offers have been acquired through the social. Just be sure to nab a recruiter to talk with them before someone else does!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Just don't get nervous and start gulping alcoholic drinks all evening. I suggest limiting yourself to just one (even if you think you can handle more) so you're sure to stay clear-headed and lucid.

Also, keep in mind that at any fair, you are always "on," as evidenced by the hirings in elevators and washrooms. Stay neatly dressed, smile, and be friendly and polite to everyone. Lay off the partying for the duration so you're not seen staggering through the lobby or passing out in the elevators.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

heyteach...just laughing at that visual...who knows...you could be passed out in the elevator with an admin, wake up together, become new besties and land the job! lol
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Newteach, I'd be willing to bet that that has happened!