5 years IB but mid-Certification: chances for Aug. 2014?

Seansmith7

5 years IB but mid-Certification: chances for Aug. 2014?

Post by Seansmith7 »

My situation: I have 5 years experience teaching MYP and DP English at an accredited international school. I have a B.A. in English, an MEd TESOL Degree, and am an IELTS Examiner. I quit my job to do the BEd this year and get certified. The certification isn't awarded until Oct. 2014.

The plan is to apply for HK or Singapore International schools for an Aug. 2013 start, but they want evidence of certification now. Is it even worth bothering to apply to these schools now? Should I just wait until certification is in hand and see what crumbs are available in October or wait and apply for the following school year (Aug. 2015)? Any advice would be appreciated.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Many established schools prefer teachers with at least 2 years of credible classroom teaching experience after gaining certification. However, schools also make exceptions to highly experienced IB teachers, especially those in high-needs areas (math/physics).
If certification is mandatory to get a work permit, I would rather wait until I have the document in my hand.
Briz

Post by Briz »

As fine dude stated, it isn't usually in the hands of the school, they have to show certification in order to get your work permit. Best is to check with schools in Singapore and Hong Kong to see what they require. At first glance it looks like your waiting another year, but most likely you need an HR person to answer your query.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Agree with Briz on this one, but a silver lining is that some Singapore schools might run a January start of the academic year? Possibly? So it might be a more viable option.
Seansmith7

Post by Seansmith7 »

Of course on my OP I meant "August 2014" start.

Thanks people for the advice. My wife may soon have a job offer at a school in HK, so I'm thinking of going along and when my certification comes through in October, seeing what pops up when I'm there. At least we can eke out a living on her salary in HK while I'm looking. We can also keep an eye out for jobs in Singapore.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

A few years back I was talking with a woman who worked as Singapore American School, and from what I understood from her the Singaporean government had passed a law requiring current credentials for international school teachers. Apparently there were a number of long-term teachers who had let their credentials lapse. There were told by administration that they needed to find a way to re-certify or they would be not be receiving new contracts in the future.

There are certainly ways for teachers to get experience working as a teacher with IB or AP in US schools working at private high schools or in countries were certification isn't required. I'd be surprised if schools would pass on an experienced teacher who ended getting certification well after they began teaching just because they don't have two years post-certification experience unless we're talking about uncertified ESL teaching (which doesn't seem to be the case with you). But sometimes countries' laws prevent you from getting a work visa. Part of the issue for the OP is timing and if a school could apply for a work visa on your behalf while you're waiting for things to process. And would a school take the risk that there would be a problem and they'd end up with a vacancy.

Besides waiting until August 2015, there could be a third option. If you're in HK with you wife, you may also be able to be a substitute teacher at IS so you're still making money and something might come up mid-year or a long term substitute position. That could turn into a full time position, and if you already get the overseas package from your wife's job (visas, health care, though I understand most HK IS don't cover housing), then being a local hire may not be a big issue. Granted some places local hires also get lower pay so you'd want to look into that as well. If a school gets to know you as a sub, and they like your work, they know your family/spouse is already settled, then you become much more of a known quantity when they look to hire someone. The question is whether you can get on schools sub list either before or after your credential comes through.
Seansmith7

Post by Seansmith7 »

Eion_padraig: Thanks - the information you provided confirms my research about the situation in competitive places like HK and Singapore. Your third option is the strategy we'll take if she gets the offer. However, I am worried about getting lowballed on a "local hire" contract. An ex-colleague accepted an offer at an IS and ended up making $1,500 US less per month (the housing salary) than other teachers with the same qualifications as him. It didn't do much for his peace of mind, sense of justice, and morale.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Yeah, the local hire thing depends on the particular school's policy. At my school local hires are on the same pay scale (I'd be wary of a place that didn't have a set pay scale), but they don't get the housing and flight benefits. This doesn't matter when your spouse already gets them on your behalf because it doesn't usually (ever?) get doubled for two teachers working at the school.

I wish you and your wife good luck.