Job fair apparel dos and don't

Teachermom

Job fair apparel dos and don't

Post by Teachermom »

How formal do we need to dress at the job fair? I know the basics: clean, ironed, nothing too flamboyant or distracting. But I still am figuring out what to pack.

For Men:
Suit and tie, or is a nice blazer, button up shirt, and black or tan pants ok?

For Women:
Do I need to wear my one suit, or is a pencil skirt, nice cardigan, black tights, and dressy flat shoes ok?

In both cases, the latter, more casual options are our normal teaching clothes, and we'd be more comfortable in them.

Any opinions?
Briz

Post by Briz »

My first time in Bangkok I did not even wear a tie let alone a suit. I did not want a job where it was required. I also brought my trailing spouse unannounced to all of my interviews. I got a job. A good job. Some people go all out, and since I am in Thailand early this year, I bought a new suit, so I will wear it this time around. I still think it is more about how you present your personality and not what you wear exactly.

Good luck!
schoolcounselor

Post by schoolcounselor »

Teachermom -for women, you are going to need more than one outfit over a three day fair, esp considering 2nd interviews. Presenting yourself as polished and confident is the most important thing.

My opinion, bring the suit and the cardi/pencil skirt with a few nice blouses, both heels and flats. Consider tights in other soft colors, unless your jacket/cardi or skirt are black. Mix and match depending on the weather and your feeling for each interview. Studies I have read say the two things that stand out the most are hair and shoes (all other elements being equal) so be certain they are polished and professional.

I will admit, I brought more clothes than I ended up needing to my fair, but having options gave me comfort and confidence -so I wouldn't do it differently!

Best wishes for a successful fair :)
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Briz"]My first time in Bangkok I did not even wear a tie let alone a suit. I did not want a job where it was required. I also brought my trailing spouse unannounced to all of my interviews. I got a job. A good job. Some people go all out, and since I am in Thailand early this year, I bought a new suit, so I will wear it this time around. I still think it is more about how you present your personality and not what you wear exactly.

Good luck![/quote]
-----------------------------

Lol. All I can say is you must be in a high needs field.

In general, err to the conservative/formal side. Dressing down may not make a huge difference in every case but wearing a smart suit for interview is NEVER going to count against you.

Most of us cannot afford to do anything that is going to dent our chances even slightly or diminish our first impressions. There are many, many great schools whose administration would prefer to see candidates dressed in a suit and tie (or equivalent for women). If you are going to invest the time and money to go to a fair, why not do everything you can to maximize the impression you make.

That being said, you still have to sell yourself and your qualifications and of course there will always be exceptions. At our first fair there was an attractive young lady dressed in a short skirt and go go boots. She didn't look very professional but she got a job alright. And yes, some teachers would be able to walk into an interview dressed in shorts and sandals and walk out with a job but do you want to count on being one of the exceptions?
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I packed:
--one tailored, simple but pretty, neutral colored, above-knee dress
--one pair of tailored trouser pants and a bright, simple shirt
--one black blazer to wear over both
--two pair black tights (one as backup)
--one pair of low black wedges for the pants, one pair of black boots to wear with the dress (it was freezing)
--one backup dress, also simply cut, but colorful and one backup shirt (in case the fair lasted three days for me, which it didn't)
--a cardigan that I didn't end up wearing except at the airport or hotel
--simple dangly earrings

I was able to pack all of this into a small carry-on suitcase.
My style tends to be very casual also, but I chose a more professional, yet stylish, route for the fair and I am glad that I did. I felt bad for the people walking around in hoodies and skinny jeans because maybe they just didn't know any better. Anyhow, I felt great in my clothes and felt that I would have stood out in a bad way wearing something more casual.

I found everything that I didn't already have on a teacher budget by shopping at inexpensive stores and at sales.
sid

Post by sid »

The few people in poor dress are standing out quite distinctly. At this point in the fair, many candidates are 'done' and have switched to casual clothes since they have a contract in hand. The ones who started that way are still that way, but they aren't wearing the happy smiles and relaxed demeanors of their contracted colleagues.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

It always surprises me how underdressed some people are at these fairs. There are always a few people in jeans and T-shirts. I mean, don't they know that this is a professional affair?
3xlucky

Dress to Impress

Post by 3xlucky »

I was prepared from the moment I got on the plane...dressy casual (no tie, rolled up sleeves on button up shirt - no sandals) you'd be surprised who you meet at the line ups through customs, checking in at the hotel, etc.

For interviews I wore what I wear to work: dress pant, shirt and tie, dress shoes. I chose solid colours with a modern styled tie (not a huge fan of the skinny tie, but wide is out). I did bring a suit but never wore it.

My wife wore dressy capris and a nice top on the airplane, pant suit/ slash skirt with blouse for interviews.

When we got our jobs we still dressed well.

Let's be honest, your qualifications will get you the skip the line pass, but your personality and image get you the job.

My good friend has been a Principal at 2 quality schools for the last 7 years and he always says it makes a difference. That is what he did as a teacher and still looks for as someone who is hiring.