Looking for advice from experienced international teachers

bailes87

Looking for advice from experienced international teachers

Post by bailes87 »

Hello all,

I have a few questions that I'd really appreciate if someone could give me some clarity on.

I have taught before in Taiwan, but just with an AA and a TEFL certificate. Along the way I ended up hearing about American International Schools.

I decided to return back to school to pursue a degree that would help me in the pursuit of working at American International Schools. Now this is where I get a little confused.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what the most marketable teaching degree to get would be.

Is it more valuable to have an Elementary Ed. teaching certificate or is it better to pick a subject matter that would enable me to teach middle school and high school?

I'm not sure if there is data available on the web that can help me with this, but I have researched around a bit(I've heard of TIE, ISS, Search Associates, and University of Northern Iowa Overseas Placement Center)

If I am only going to pursue a BA and get a teaching certificate, what would be the best route to secure a job?

I'm deciding between Elementary Ed. and Subject Matter (Math and/or Science) at the moment.

Thanks a lot and I appreciate any advice that you have to offer.

Matt
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Here are the killer combinations in the order of their demand:
1. HS Math and Physics certifications (if these are your strengths) - you can land in elite schools with this combo
2. HS Physics and another HS Science
3. HS Physics and MS Math
4. HS Physics and MS Science
5. MS Math and MS Science

Also, you can look at other science-math combinations if the ones mentioned above are not your strengths.