contacting schools- database or direct to HR/head of school

Mac1030

contacting schools- database or direct to HR/head of school

Post by Mac1030 »

Does anyone know if it is better to contact a school through the Search Associates website (message feature) or just to e-mail the director/head of school/principal/HR instead?

Has anyone e-mailed both to hedge their bets? I thought it might be fine line and I don't want to annoy the recruiting ..

Furthermore if you choose to e-mail directly instead of using the Search message system is your cover letter in the body of the e-mail itself or is it attached along with a CV with the e-mail being a short expression of interest?

Please advise!

Cheers!
txteach

Post by txteach »

I would email someone directly, too. At my school the HR head scans the SEARCH info. If you emailed the principal directly and the department chair of the department you're interested in, then they can ask the HR person to find you.
hairsonfire

Post by hairsonfire »

Search message feature seems pretty flaky, I have asked questions there and gotten no response. Emailing seems better to me.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I've had good luck with Search email. Everything is right there for the head to see..in particular the anonymous references.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

I have tried through search. No reply ever... :(
litgal

Post by litgal »

I was wondering the same thing as well and thinking about sending some direct emails to Principals or HR head after the new year just indicating that I had submitted a letter of interest through the Search mail feature....

I have sent probably 25 emails through Search and got responses from around 4.. one turned into a Skype interview and I just received a request for another Skype interview today because the school will not be at the Jan. fair in Cambridge.

Thoughts anyone.... I am a newbie so not sure if emailing principals and/or others directly is considered a negative if that is not what the school requested....

I have learned quite a bit on this forum! It has been great to read posts and share questions as I navigate this unfamiliar and somewhat anxiety producing territory!!!
Mac1030

Post by Mac1030 »

Thanks for the replies- appreciated it.

I got my last couple of jobs without Search so its helpful to know how things have worked out for people.