Getting a foot in the door to Japan

dexts

Getting a foot in the door to Japan

Post by dexts »

I have an opportunity at a fairly good school in Japan (not naming names), but it is a local hire position. While I am not local, I applied anyway, as my wife is Japanese, and that is where we want to be.
I am close to being offered the job.

Now my dilemma is: Do I take the job if it is offered, paying out of my own pocket to get there and get set up (I know the costs - and have the funds), or do I wait for job with international benefits?

Normally I wouldn't consider a job without the accompanying flight etc, but I really want to be in Japan. Considering how competitive the job market is in Japan, would I be stupid to turn down this position? (I am not the most marketable candidate in terms of subjects and experience)

Also, would I ever be able to be hired with international benefits in Japan again, after working at this school as a local hire?
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

I am surprised that the school is treating you as a local hire just because your wife is Japanese. My Japanese wife gets all the benefits that any dependent of a teacher gets, including flights to my home country, worldwide health insurance etc.

You can move to another school within Japan and get the international benefits.
dexts

Post by dexts »

The position was a local hire position (advertised in local media, not internationally) from the beginning. I applied, just in case, not expecting to actually get it (I haven't got it yet).

So if I take this job, and later get a post at another international school, they will give me the international benefits, despite the fact that I will already be set up in Japan?
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

Many schools yes, some schools no. For example, Canadian Academy says that you will not receive all the benefits that an overseas hire receives: http://www.canacad.ac.jp/page.cfm?p=565&pback=367

This could just refer to the relocation allowance, incoming airfare etc. or maybe it refers to more such as a flight home every year, the housing allowance etc. Who knows?
crunky

Post by crunky »

Having done this myself, most of the international schools in Tokyo will treat you as a local if you are already set up here. I do know some schools that will give minimal benefits to local expats, but nothing as good as the international hires.
I would wait for the fair and try finding an international package.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

I wouldn't say most. I know from friends' experience that several of the decent paying ones will give you the same benefits as an international hire (housing, flight etc.). I have friends who have even got the settling in allowance when they changed schools, even though they were already settled and didn't have to move anywhere.
dexts

Post by dexts »

This post: http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... y&start=15
was what got me thinking that one should jump at almost any opportunity at a school in Japan, just to get a foot in the door.

I will be flying into Tokyo for the interview. I have 3 interviews lined up. 2 of them will be with a package. If I can't get the ones with packages, I think I might just go for the one without, just to get into Japan. Is this mad?
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

In a previous job search I got the impression that somebody applying from outside of japan who has IB experience has more of a foot in the door than someone already in japan without IB experience. All but one or two high paying schools in Japan are IB schools.
dexts

Post by dexts »

That is certainly worth considering pgrass. I really want to work in IB. Unfortunately, I do not have experience in IB, and from what I have heard, it is unlikely that an IB school in Japan will hire a teacher with no IB experience.

The way I see it is there are two routes for me. One is to get IB experience in another country, and then later apply for a school in Japan. The other is to make a name for myself in a non IB school in Japan, and then apply on the strength of my achievements to an IB school.

I favour the second, as I being in Japan is important to us at the moment.
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

I know of 2 teachers who were hired at a very good school in Japan (not ASIJ) from within Japan and they were hired on foreign hire contracts. The reason for this is because they were already on foreign hire contracts at their previous schools.
If you enter on a local hire contract, there is a high chance that you will considered as local hire at any future school. I know that at the school I mentioned earlier, this means losing out on a very good housing allowance as well as a tuition waiver for your children. If you have children then this would mean that they would not be able to attend the school, and this would really make me think twice about signing as a local hire. Especially when you consider the only option would be is to attend a Japanese public school.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

Again, I am not sure this is true. Both myself and former colleagues have had quite a bit of experience job searching within japan and wether we were international hires at our current schools never came up. With most schools you will be an international hire, even if applying from within japan.

I would be more worried about a lack on IB experience.
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

[quote="pgrass"]Again, I am not sure this is true. Both myself and former colleagues have had quite a bit of experience job searching within japan and wether we were international hires at our current schools never came up. With most schools you will be an international hire, even if applying from within japan.

I would be more worried about a lack on IB experience.[/quote]

Well, in the two cases I know of, it depended on the type of contract they were on at the previous school. Both were on a foreign hire contract at their previous school and were therefore hired on foreign hire contracts at their new school.
crunky

Post by crunky »

I think it largely depends on the individual school. I jumped around to a few of the international schools in Tokyo and for each one was put on a local hire contract. For each of these it meant no housing or flights, but children's tuition was covered.
Unfortunately, some schools love local hires because of the ease and cheap nature. There's one or two in Tokyo notorious for this and unfortunately don't seem to care much about qualifications or experience, but seem to hire with saving a buck in their thoughts. These schools will hopefully realize soon that it's in their detriment to do this.
Japan is an awesome place though, and if you can enter on a foreign hire package (or a good enough local one), I'd say go for it!
dexts

Post by dexts »

Thank you everyone for the useful information. Certainly helps with the difficult decision I have to make.
Crunky, are you able to name the schools that have poor hiring practices? If one of them is the place I am negotiating with, that will certainly make my decision easier.
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

[quote="dexts"]Thank you everyone for the useful information. Certainly helps with the difficult decision I have to make.
Crunky, are you able to name the schools that have poor hiring practices? If one of them is the place I am negotiating with, that will certainly make my decision easier.[/quote]

Have you read the reviews on the paid section of this site? IF not, it's well worth paying the $29.
I've heard not great things about K international and the Canadian international school in Tokyo.