Getting a foot in the door to Japan

dexts

Post by dexts »

I have, cheers. The school I'm looking at is not on the paid section.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

It has been a while since I was a paid member but from what I recall most schools in Tokyo were on the paid section. Be careful not to get trapped in an international preschool/kindergarten, many of which are glorified babysitting services / language schools. You will have almost no hope of getting a job in decent school directly from one of these.

Edited to add: according to the preview section of this site the following schools have been reviewed on the paid section:

• Abroad International School Sendai
• AICJ Academy for International Community
• American School in Japan
• Aoba Japan International School
• Canadian International School
• Christian Academy in Japan
• EMS International
• Fukuoka International School
• Gunma Kokusai Academy
• Hiroshima International School
• K International School Tokyo
• KAIS International School
• Katoh Gakuen
• Kyoto International School
• Linden Hall Elementary School Japan
• Makuhari International School
• Marist Brothers International School Kobe
• Nagoya International School
• Nishimachi International School
• Okinawa Amicus International
• Osaka International School Kwansei Gakuin
• Sacred Heart
• Seisen International School
• St. Mary's International School
• St. Maur Intl School Yokohama
• Tamagawa Academy K-12 Tokyo
• Tohoku International School Sendai
• Tokyo International School
• Tokyo Korean School
• Tokyo YMCA International School
• Waseda International School Tokyo
• Yokohama International School

The only school I can think of not on that list is Columbia International School, which I don't know much about, apart from it is in Saitama and not Tokyo.

Be careful...
dexts

Post by dexts »

No fear, I would never take a kindergarten class. Middle and high school for me.

The school I am looking at, without giving too much away, is a Japanese private school for returnees, that has recently opened an international section. The school itself is very prestigious and academically respected in Japanese educational circles, but is not an international school per se. My Japanese friends speak highly of the school, but not many international teachers are familiar with it. I have spoken to a couple of the teachers at the school and they seem pretty happy.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

Good luck then. There is often quite a bit of money with these types of positions. Some universities (Doshisha, Tamagawa) run their own international programmes and the salaries are quite high.

Also, you may luck into getting IB experience as the Japanese government is pushing a version of it into many of its public schools. Who knows, maybe your school will decide to take on the full IB programmes in English.