Brent International School Clark Progress?

skonamaj1

Brent International School Clark Progress?

Post by skonamaj1 »

A couple of years ago I was in Clark in the the Philippines, and I saw the site where they are going to build the new Brent campus there. I was wondering does anyone know if Brent Clark is up and running yet? If so are they hiring?
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

It is currently in it's second year of operations. There are a couple of other 3rd tier Intl' schools in the Clark area as well.

I'm not sure why you would want to work in Clark. Hmmmm. Just sayin.
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

I want to work in the Philippines, because my wife is a filipina. I could careless about clark. I know very well about it's popular night time activities, however I just want a job in an international school in the Philippines, and there are not many international schools there in the Philippines.
Briz

Post by Briz »

If you don't care where you work there are actually several options from Cebu to Clark. If you want a career, you have Brent Subic and ISM. These options will require a good resume of experience and bringing much more to the table than being married to a Filipina. I know the option I would choose, and would advise one to cautiously move forward in the PI as their are many IS sinkholes. I do speak as someone who has MANY years of Philippines experience beyond just the IS situation. Just as I have been told in the PI, look 3-4 times before you jump!!!
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

Hi Briz,

I am wondering what direction you would go? I have 10 years of experience. I am certified in the USA. I have been an administrator, I have two years of admin experience. As a principal in China. My wife I just want to start a family somewhere near where her family is so they can help her. As family is very important in filipino culture. You said you know which direction you would go. Any ideas would be helpful as Brent and ISM seem difficult to get a foot in the door.
Briz

Post by Briz »

I wish I could give you the magic pill to answer those questions. I can say that we have similar goals, and I have been working in that direction for several years. Here is what I would recommend publicly and attempt to remain anonymous.

1. Watch the job postings. ISM and Brent both go to Bangkok. They also attend both fairs Search and ISS.

2. When there is something available go for it. Get to know all you can about the job, school and make every attempt you can to set an interview. Most likely you will have to do this at the fair. ISM does travel the fair circuit. David Toze has his group travel from Bangkok to London to Cambridge to San Fran. So they are picky! Youtube, twitter, and other social media give you lots of tidbits and information.

3. I also believe having a Filipina wife may not be a great advantage, possibly a detriment. I just know with ISM fitting in is as important as your resume. Seeming desperate could be a perception a recruiter takes from your desire to move to the PI. It is all in how you present it.

4. Have a game plan. I do.
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

Thanks Briz,

I also have a game plan, and as much as I want to move to the Philippines I am not desperate. I have a very high paying admin job here in China; so if I get a job in the Philippines then great, as it will make my wife happy, but if I don't I am perfectly fine staying in China where I can - a nice savings and parlay that into a retirement in the Philippines.

I have also considered opening my own school starting small with Pre-k and working my way up to a full international k-12 program over the course of 12 years. I have considered this because during the many times I have been to the Philippines on holiday with my wife I have seen many of these bottom tier type schools/ sham schools especially in the area around Clark. I actually interviewed with one school in Clark but it was a joke so I passed, but that got me thinking that there is a need there for real international school programs I am just not sure if the market is viable enough.
Q8Sobieski

Re: Brent International School Clark Progress?

Post by Q8Sobieski »

I think Clark would be ideal. I would love to go there. I have been to Clark and Subic and they are a nice change from Manila which I find crowded, congested, not the slightest bit pretty. I would love either of those locations -- I haven't been to Cebu yet.

I have thought about the Euro-campus in Paranaque. It's a small school that doesn't pay that well but it seemed nice.