Bangkok ISS 2014 who's going?

PsychBean

Bangkok ISS 2014 who's going?

Post by PsychBean »

Hi all just wanted to know if many will be attending the ISS Bangkok fair? I'm thinking of attending since registration is still open. However they always host this event at pricier hotels. Who will be staying at host hotel and who will stay near by? What are the near by hotels?
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

So no one is going?
zanyplum

Post by zanyplum »

I am going to BKK, but I am staying on the conference hotel since I am sharing with another teacher.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Hello Zan,

I am wondering is surrounding hotels are close enough to go back and forth. The host hotel is always fairly high.
Briz

Post by Briz »

There are plenty of hotels in the surrounding area within 1km! My hotel this year has a pool, is 200 m from ISS and 550m from Search. Cost was just under 500 usd for 9 days.

Look on sites like hostelbookers..makemytrip etc. Pay 10% with cc, rest on arrival. There is Saphaipae hostel (friends are booked there), smile society, sunflower place, the astera Sathorn hotel etc. etc. etc. Last recruiting I stayed up by the train station at a great place about 30 usd a night.... It was a hostel called hua .something. Same as train station I think... Anyway great rooms, no elevators, exactly 995m from search.

Good luck
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi PsychBean,

this has been an ongoing issue with me…I'm staying at a hotel within about 5 minute bike ride, but I worry that I won't be "in the action" if I'm not staying at the hotel. The price difference was huge, though, over 4 days, so I decided on staying at the "less pricey" hotel.

Any thought from Fair veterans (this is for the Search Fair, by the way).
Briz

Post by Briz »

Not sleeping at the hotel does nothing to hurt your chances. You will spend your free-time (if you have any) in the candidates lounge or attending presentations, then go out locally to dinner. Just because your sharing a central air supply with someone at night does not increase your chances. It NEVER came up in an interview, and if the heads had to pay for the hotel themselves very few of the would choose that expensive an option in Bangkok, and thus would probably applaud your wiseness in finding alternative less expensive options.

The only advantage is catching a nap or being able to freshen up between interviews, but with saving between 1000-1500 usd, I absolutely do not mind walking 2-500 meters for that!
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Ok I think the cheapest room I found for shangri la is $583 for 2 nights???? I will stay else where, that is just to much..... I'm going to look for hotel as close as possible.

I can't make search I can make ISS.

Hua Chang $150+ a night. Ugh
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

It's expensive, but I'll have my kid with me, so it's worth the $150 to have him in the same building with me. I'm also relishing the chance to freshen up, take a nap, change clothes, etc.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="justlooking"]It's expensive, but I'll have my kid with me, so it's worth the $150 to have him in the same building with me. I'm also relishing the chance to freshen up, take a nap, change clothes, etc.[/quote]

I will be in similar situation....
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I like silk suites just around the corner.
PsychBean

PM

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="nikkor"]I like silk suites just around the corner.[/quote]

Ok I think I just sent a pm??? Is that so??

I will check out silk. I found one $45 wifi breakfast near by on the map at least. But I will look up silk.
chalupa

Post by chalupa »

I checked google maps for hostels near the Shangri-La. I found a hostel which is 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel. It's called Saphaipe Hostel. It's really cheap, about $15 USD a night for a bed in a dorm room. They also have private rooms for a higher rate. http://www.hoteltravel.com/thailand/ban ... haipae.htm
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

Bossotel Inn is also a reasonably priced boutique hotel situtated near the Shang and the Royal Orchid (Search Fair site). http://www.bossotelinn.com/home.html