What to do when you sign a 3 year contract, but the school..

antlia7

Post by antlia7 »

I am facing a dilemma: I signed up for a 3 year contract with a school in the Mid-East, but they let me go after one year, due to bitter politicking in this for-profit school. (This ended in the court, where I did receive the dues). The placement agency here in the US insists that I confirm this as a one year contract, (from the school HR) since my resume shows it to be one year...I fear that if I request the school HR, they will mention that I was let go, which would reflect badly on my application. The truth however is that it was they who broke the contract and not me as I wanted to stay... How do I deal with this monstrous issue between an individual and a corporation?
What are my options? Anyone...please.....?
--Antlers
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Go with TIEonline, and if you haven't, sign up for Search Associates.

Problem solved.

If the placement agency is Search (never heard them referred to as that before), sign up with ISS. But Search is better.

Good luck!
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Antonia,

Would your former principal write a letter in support of you explains why you left after a year. The best situation is to be truthful. If you say you only had a one year contract, but it is later found out or is known that the school has three year contracts, you will have problems with prospective schools or the agency.
Briz

Post by Briz »

ISS will require the HR from the school to confirm any one year listing on your resume was a one year contract. They seem mostly concerned with runners, so if the school says you were fired then they might be ok? With that.

I had a friend tell me that Search wanted confirmation from a school about a one year contract, but the school never replied so they dropped the inquiry. They never said one word to me about my one year contract. I had been in contact with my associate for a LONG time before signing up, so they might not have been concerned.

Remember that any agency will vet you. They have a reputation, especially if your using Carney Sandoe in the US. They also get top schools that do not go to many fairs to utilize their services. Best to come clean to the agent and see what happens. Explain the situation, and hope it works out.

Tieonline and joyjobs have you contact the school, so you have to explain to them. In that case be non-judgemental, and give only facts not perceptions (such as using the word politicky) a rightous school doesn't violate contracts so they would be ok with you taking a school to court for violation of you.
antlia7

Post by antlia7 »

Thank you fellows, for your replies. Indeed they are all helpful!
I'll take only a couple more minutes of your time...
Here is the bottomline, smouldering question:

Does 'failing' probation (hence getting the sack) constitute breaking the contract on part of the employee?

I'd welcome all insights to the above. This forum is indeed a huge support...
Thank you all, friends!
Briz

Post by Briz »

No but I have been asked if I was ever fired in an application. What did you do to grow from the situation? Embrace and improve? Bitter and complain? Being fired will never ruin the rest of your life, but how you move forward will. Get your facts straight, stay positive, be transparent and move forward. You might find resistance, but eventually this will be buried in your resume and a non issue. Improve ( or at least give that perception.)
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="Briz"]No but I have been asked if I was ever fired in an application. What did you do to grow from the situation? Embrace and improve? Bitter and complain? Being fired will never ruin the rest of your life, but how you move forward will. Get your facts straight, stay positive, be transparent and move forward. You might find resistance, but eventually this will be buried in your resume and a non issue. Improve ( or at least give that perception.)[/quote]

Great advice Briz! I am sure you are not the first person in this situation antila. Just explain to your next school and if it's a good fit perhaps they will take the whole scenario into account! Things do happen and I'm sure you can find work elsewhere! Best of luck to you!