Newly qualified teacher (humanities), do I stand a chance?

norsesam

Newly qualified teacher (humanities), do I stand a chance?

Post by norsesam »

Hello everyone, I would really love to know whether you think I have a realistic chance of getting a job with a good international school (anywhere with some savings potential, although I'm not keen on China). Male, single with no children. CV:

BA *snip*
MA Linguistics
PGCE History / Humanities
Two years teaching experience (with the Teach First programme). No IB experience.
As well as history, I also have experience teaching geography although I only have an A level in it.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by norsesam on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Overseas Family School, Singapore, has a vacancy for Norwegian IB Diploma Language A (part time). Not a great school, but you can get some IB exp and save some $.
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

More experience would be better, but more opportunities will be available if you don't mind teaching ESL or English. If you are open there are some positions out there for part time humanities/English. This might be a good way to get your foot in the door.

That being said most places want at least 2 years experience, but be ambitious no one ever got anything by not trying.
Mac1030

Post by Mac1030 »

Try Korea. Some of the schools have good packages. Or you could try Brent in the Philippines...not at the top but a decent school with a friendly laid back atmostphere- some of the nicest students you will ever teach. Brent has both MS/US Humanities positions, no need for IB for the MS and if they are short on candidates they might even train you for IB in the US. The package is not the greatest but you can save a lot as the cost of living is not very high.

Have a look at the schools listed for the UNI (US) and Queen's TORF (Canada)- a lot of these will hire newbie teachers.

Also if you don't mind the Middle East or Africa you have a decent shot...SA too but savings are limited there...
Best of luck!
mandi100

Post by mandi100 »

[quote="Mac1030"]Have a look at the schools listed for the UNI (US) and Queen's TORF (Canada)- a lot of these will hire newbie teachers. [/quote]

I am in a similar position (~3.5 years exp incl. Korea).

Where is the list for UNI & TORF?

Thanks
prince15

Post by prince15 »

I can't find the list of schools for TORF, but here's the list for UNI:

https://osfair.aacs.uni.edu/web/candida ... llist.aspx