Email Head of Department Directly?

BlueJay

Email Head of Department Directly?

Post by BlueJay »

When applying for a position would any of you email the head of the department directly if you found their email through a Google search in addition to emailing the one listed on their jobs page?

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

I try to find it on the school's website first, then google if necessary. I email the principal a week after applying.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Not sure if there is much point in emailing the HOD. If anyone, you should email the building principal.
dexts

Post by dexts »

I'm curious about emailing the principal. Does it actually work? Surely this would just annoy him/her, as it is unsolicited? Am I wrong in assuming that schools have created specific channels for job applications, and attempting to circumvent these will at best cause annoyance?

Any principals care to comment? I just can't imagine that a principal will read through your email, and then go out of his way to flag your application, especially seeing as his secretary would probably screen his email anyway.

Or am I being naive?
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

I have had two interviews so far where I only got them because I emailed the elementary principal directly. In those situations, the elementary principal did the hiring for the elementary, but the director was listed as the decision-maker on Search.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

I have had three interviews for and two of them came from emailing the principal directly, including the job I accepted. Like Bellarux, I wait about a week. In the email, I introduce myself and let them know I have officially applied for the position. I also attach my CV.
Good luck!
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Do not email department head. They rarely have input in the hiring process in international schools.

Emailing the principal is fine particularly at large schools. The schools receive a large amount of applications and catching the attention of the principal through an email may get your application out of the pile.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

I've emailed a principle a couple of times with no response. But hearing the positive responses here I will give it a try again in the future.