Dubai, SF, or Spring Bangkok? Please help!

teachaway

Dubai, SF, or Spring Bangkok? Please help!

Post by teachaway »

So the Bangkok fair has been full since before I registered for Search (October). I have opted to go to the Dubai, San Francisco, OR Spring Bangkok fair. Which one would be the best? I am open to pretty much any region.
Briz

Post by Briz »

I would look at the schools attending then couple that with the jobs you are interested in. No doubt the landscape will change signifigantly after BKK and London, but it should give you insight into what would be best for you. For me cost would also be a factor. How much are you willing to invest in your future position?

Also do not rule out a last minute January admission. Have you talked to your associate?

My personal choice of the 3 would be Dubai.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Where are you located?

All three of those fairs are relatively low key, I would not go out of my way and spend $$$ to get to one of those. Go to the one that is going to be cheapest and easiest to get to.

The last fair I attended was Search SF some years back. It was decent, with jobs for the taking, but most of the good schools were done hiring already.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Unless you have a specific interest in the Middle East, I would recommend the SF fair. While most of the top schools are not in attendance, there are a fair number of quality schools.
teachaway

Post by teachaway »

I'm located in Asia and already teaching internationally for two years.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I would attend the earliest fair
teachaway

Post by teachaway »

The San Fran fair is the earliest of the three. okay one more question...
I haven't heard back from any schools yet except for the standard "thank you, we received your app, we'll be reviewing apps over winter break..." If I don't get any schools to respond, should I even risk spending money to go to SF from Asia and try to get a job without going to a fair?
Briz

Post by Briz »

@teachaway

You know yourself better than any anonymous person on this message board, ask yourself the question. Put yourself in the position of the admin, look at your resume and then say, Do I want this teacher? If the answer is no or maybe, then go to a fair as you have the opportunity to sell yourself. If it yes, go with the skype interviews. Or even better go to the fair and see if you get into a better place.

I was just asked to interview this morning on Monday (23rd Dec), so its a world of unknowns! You never know when the call to skype will come. Personally I am signed up to go to both Bangkok fairs as well as using CoIS, CSA and another recruiter. In the end it is about happiness and security for my family and myself over the next 4-6 years and for that I don't gamble very much.

If the only risk is money, remember you can always make more, but if you have to recruit again next year or even in 2 years because you didn't go to a fair how will you feel. I am aware not everyone feels like I do, nor are any of us in the exact same position with family, career, skills etc. so for me, I say go to a fair, I have yet to walk away without something that was great!