When is too late to jump in?

MIS

When is too late to jump in?

Post by MIS »

I'm seriously considering jumping into the international school market. I don't want to make any rash decisions so I'm mulling it over with hopes of having a definitive decision by Christmas, which would enable me to use the days between then and New Years to join an agency and get my references and necessary paperwork in order.

My question is, would a candidacy "launch" at the beginning of the year be too late of a push to land a job in Europe? I know some of the bigger fairs are in January and February, but I don't have the ability to attend due to my coaching responsibilities. I assume the existence of those fairs means many jobs in the region will still be available. Am I correct?
Last edited by MIS on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Never say never, but I would say jumping in to the market in late December or early January puts you at a distinct disadvantage. Others have been sending out resumes, making contacts and preparing for fairs for the past 2-3 months.
MIS

Post by MIS »

Thanks for the response. Would you say that the majority of schools have not yet filled their vacancies at this point? Vast majority?
Briz

Post by Briz »

It is safe to say that the majority of jobs will be filled between January and the SF search fair (February). There will still be jobs available and schools hiring, but most of the top schools will be close to finished. They then switch their HR focus to document collection, visa procurement, housing and flight arrangement. Admin switch their focus back to the second half of the school year.

Rest assured, there are still a lot of jobs. You can even get a job to start in January today! There are always jobs! It is the quality, location, pay-rate etc. that can fluctuate in this time.

Do not fret if you have the right certification, you will get a job!
MIS

Post by MIS »

Thanks, Briz. I just want to make sure that I'm not jumping after the peak hiring season. From the sound of it, I'll be jumping in right at the middle, which is fine. I understand I will have missed some opportunities, I just want to be sure there will be many others available.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

MIS - look for jobs in Germany would be your bet. Many German schools hire later in the year because German law means teachers can basically let them know late in the year whether they are returning or not - I don't know this personally, but this is what I have been led to believe.

It doesn't hurt to try - and if you are teaching at home, you don't need to let your district know until very late in the game whether you are returning or not.

If you are serious about going international, you need to be getting everything organized in September and starting your search in October. That way you get your fair invites and can start scoping out schools and positions.

Good luck and keep us posted!
sid

Post by sid »

Which Europe are you most interested in? France, Italy, Germany etc? The competition will be fierce and most of the packages small to medium. Or the other Europe: Ukraine, Lithuania etc? Better packages, less competition. Or somewhere in between, like Norway, Finland...
MIS

Post by MIS »

Thanks for the advise about German schools, Shadow. Germany is definitely a country I would be interested in. Berlin is my favorite city in the world, so obviously I'd love to teach there.

Sid, Germany and Switzerland are probably the furthest West I would be looking. I have very little interest in France, Italy, etc. Norway, Czech Republic, Finland, Ukraine, Poland, maybe Russia... those are places I'm really interested in.