New to Teaching Internationally - QSI in Eastern Europe

midwesthopeful

New to Teaching Internationally - QSI in Eastern Europe

Post by midwesthopeful »

Does anyone have info on the following QSI schools (or directors) in Eastern Europe?

Tirana, Albania - Tirana International School
Sarajevo, Bosnia & Herzegovina - QSI International School of Sarajevo
Bratislava, Slovakia - QSI International School of Bratislava

What about for a young couple in their first stint overseas? Would it be a good first step?

We have traveled quite a bit in that area of the world and have a good idea of what we would be getting ourselves into regarding culture/location. Eastern Europe is actually our top location preference.

We would especially love to hear from those that have worked in the QSI system.

Thanks!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

QSI tends to reserve those spots for teachers who have been with them for awhile, I think. You apply to QSI - and they place you at one of their schools, but you do know where you are going.

QSI-ers out there, any other info on how to get an inside track to QSI Europe schools?
midwesthopeful

Post by midwesthopeful »

So for relatively new educators in their first placement overseas, if offered positions at one of these QSI schools, would you accept?
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

Bratislava is a beautiful city and I would love to live there. If I was offered a position there for my first post, I would take it for sure. When I was interviewing with QSI a few years back for my first international post they were wanting to place me in China or Kazakhstan. I think this is their usual practice for newbies.
National

Post by National »

I wanted to clarify that QSI doesn't "reserve" positions in certain locations for current teachers. They do have a process of internal transfer that happens before jobs are posted and that is why the more desirable locations generally do not have positions. People are allowed to register three locations they'd like to transfer to. If openings that they fit come up, they are given the transfer. After all the transfers are completed, QSI posts its positions externally. Just like newbies, most returning teachers prefer being in Eastern Europe to the Stans. If positions come up after the transfer date or were not filled by internal transfers, they are posted.

If you are going to interview with them, I would recommend checking their website for current positions right before the interview so that you know where there are positions for you. They WILL try to push you to the less desirable locations, but if you say you want to go to place "X" and you see that there are positions for you, they will give you them.

As for the locations you listed, it might be unlikely that positions there will be available. Sarajevo is a very small school and one of the top transfer desires as is Bratislava (but it is slightly larger). Albania is not as desired, but it is small. If you want to be in Eastern Europe, you might also consider Kyiv. It is a much larger school and usually has positions for newbies. I know there is some turmoil there now, but overall it is a great city that just keeps getting better (and hopefully these protests will continue the upward swing in quality of life for the average Ukrainian).