asjwr19

Post by asjwr19 »

Last edited by asjwr19 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

Pretty sure that's WHY a lot of us choose to teach overseas.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

I concur this is why we are out here (all over the world) and not back at home.
DeDee

Post by DeDee »

I am still teaching in the US and trying to attain a job internationally, but not for any of the reasons you mentioned. I teach in the South in a non union state, and we don't have any of these problems. Actually, quite the opposite. We've had raises and step increases every year. In my community, teachers are still respected and appreciated.

However, I do here many of the problems you've mentioned in the news. But, none of this is in my city or state. The biggest issue of concern for us is Common Core and the testing associated with the it.

I do sympathize with US teachers that are facing the problems you mentioned. No matter where you go in the world you are going to have problems. Just different ones. But, sooner or later some of these problems will seep into international schools. It's just a matter of time.
nikkor

Re: What is happening in the US?

Post by nikkor »

[quote="asjwr19"]
What are your thoughts on this situation, and how does it compare to problems one faces teaching internationally?[/quote]

It's kind of a grass is greener situation. Teachers who go intl' have to trade one set of problems for a different set of problems.

I'll take the savings, the daily cleaner/cook, endless travel and an amazing school and co-workers to top it off. I've visited about 15 countries in 2013. That's more than your average US teacher visits in a lifetime.