Don't you hate it when schools just stop writing back?

inmortus

Don't you hate it when schools just stop writing back?

Post by inmortus »

Just venting...

Don't you hate it when schools just stop writing back out of the blue? I've had one school approach me (without me applying to it). We exchanged a few emails, then they disappeared... I wrote a followup email a week later asking if anything had changed and just didn't receive a reply.

I then had almost exactly the same story with a different school. The head wrote back after I applied stating a strong interest, and letting me know they wanted to interview me one week later since it was a busy time; I'm still waiting... I emailed asking if anything had changed and they did not bother replying...

Maybe they no longer have the vacancy. Maybe they decided to hire someone else. Who knows? But why can't they show basic manners and either let the candidate know, or at least reply when a candidate (whom they had contacted and expressed interest in) inquires about it... I mean, all it takes is one click (Reply) and then write a three-sentence email saying "Sorry, thank you for your time"...

Is this common? Has this happened to anyone other than me? Should I go paranoid and think something weird is going on?
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

I would imagine that it has something more to do with the laws of time and less to do with the laws of manners.

Sure, a good tech integrator could teach them how to automate a lot of this, but then the school would need a good tech integrator.

I wouldn't take it too personally. Life happens. Holiday breaks happen. Clearly if they aren't communicating back with you and you don't like that then they wouldn't be a good fit for you. So at least you know now.
zanyplum

Post by zanyplum »

The same thing has been happening to me. I am sure that as soon as you forget about it, then you will here from them! ;-)

For the record, I heard from my current employer at the end of December regarding an interview, then nothing else for a month. When I did hear from them again in January, everything moved quickly, and here I am, four years later.

This is whole process is maddening. You just have to believe it all works out they way it is supposed to.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

I did get a chuckle out of this one. I use to get all annoyed and a host of other emotions. Now I apply, sometimes we have dialogue and sometimes we do not. I just go on about life and sometimes an offer will appear and sometimes it will not.

Recruiting season is sheer madness!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Live your life, continuing applying on jobs you find interesting.

Last year, I had 3 followups the week AFTER I accepted a position.

Stuff like that is very common.

Never second-guess yourself, though!
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

That's my biggest fear right now if I accept this position as it's a good option, but not the best.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If you accept, go in whole heartedly and don't look back. Last year I was contacted by a school after I recruited (that I had been in touch with before). Their package was about 1500 a month more, more benefits, and in another 'interesting' (to us) place.

Thank goodness, I made the right choice, and I am very happy at the school I recruited at in BKK last year. I can see myself here for awhile, unless Mrs. S is not happy :-)
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

Thanks for the advice… we decided to turn it down in hopes of a bigger (or more attractive) fish. Tough few days, that was. Anyway, like you said, no looking back.. time to cast out the nets again!
senator

Post by senator »

Psychbean is completely correct.

I know a lot of you DESPERATELY want to believe that there is some sort of logic to the recruiting process and there is: FOR THE SCHOOLS. The whole system is set up to favor the schools, from the timing to the actual line up like cattle at the table to ask for an interview to the lukewarm responses to emails.

And the worst thing is reading the posts of so many of my colleagues who seem actually terrified that they are not good enough when NOBODY can tell anyone exactly what "good enough" is. How else can you explain some first year teacher with no experience at all landing a job at one of the top schools? It happens a hell of a lot.

The whole process is as inscrutable as the IB MYP. If you don't land a good job it does not mean you are not a good teacher and if you do land a job at a top school it does not necessarily mean you are a good teacher - have you ever gone to a workshop and watch teachers from, say, SAS or ISKL strut around the halls? You know what I mean.

So stop adding to this foolishness that the goal of the recruitment process is to hire the best teachers. Doing so only gives the myth more power.

Just go to a fair and interview - or not - then go out and do the town.
Briz

Post by Briz »

I have had this happen twice this season. 1st time they asked to make a skype interview, then went silent only to contact me 10 days later to set something up at the fair. 2nd time was just this past Friday. "We want to interview you next week" then no reply to set it up. I will be on vacation on the beach in 36 hours, good luck getting me before the fair.

I think we all go through being terrified about our own worth, but you have to put it in perspective. We worry about this because we are at risk, the school knows there are people who will fill their holes, no worries. They are in no rush, so it is best for you to act in the same way. Just relax, let christmas and new years pass, then buckle up and ride the fair roller coaster for all it is worth!!!
litgal

Post by litgal »

I really appreciate reading all the comforting thoughts about just purging ahead and believing in ourselves as competent educators.... as a newbie it is quite nerve wracking. Although I am not at risk of not having a job if I don't get anything at the Jan. fair so I think that probably puts my view of it all in a different light.

Thanks to all the experienced teachers who share encouragement, advice, and perspective!! Keep it coming...
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I concur...live your life and don't care whether you get a job or not. Either just stay in your current one or study for a year
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Things are starting to heat up. I've applied to about 10 schools, didn't hear much of anything, but now I've had two heads/principals write to me about setting up an interview at the fair. Also had a skype interview with another school and will follow that up with a meeting at the fair. The next few weeks will be nuts.