Concordia International School Shanghai any info please?

PsychBean

Concordia International School Shanghai any info please?

Post by PsychBean »

Hello All,

Just wondering about the cost of living in Shanghai and how the work life balance is at this school. Also how is it for American kids at this school will they integrate well or not? How is the school? Are employees happy and how is the turn over rate? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Also on their website they mentioned early decision bonus? Do they pay for you to tell them you are coming back or not or just if you are returning?
Briz

Post by Briz »

Are you christian? If you are not, you will not fit in. If you are you may very well never want to leave. I have heard it is VERY nice if you fit in with the school culture. Pay, living, work etc.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Thank you for the response. It is well noted.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Cost of living is not bad. My friends who work there seem to enjoy it and seem to get out and about, although they are hard workers naturally. American kids integrate well - the culture is Christian, but very accepting. My friends are Christian, but nowhere near over the top; however, it is a Christian school in ethos and outlook. Staff seem happy and turnover is not great. Those who share the school ethos tend to stay, because it really is a good school.

If you are Christian in name only, it might not be the school for you; like I said, though, it isn't a hard core Christian school in the Pentecostal or Baptist bent.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Rather than the cost of living not being bad, I would say you are compensated quite well. Depending on what you like to do in your off hours, Shanghai can be expensive or reasonable. The only exception is getting out of Shanghai, which always seems to be expensive.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Just to add my 2 cents worth. I teach at one of Concordia's competitor schools. Concordia is a good set up. They are an american curriculum school with good standards and results. I know a few of the teachers who work there and they are all very happy working there. Turnover is low, most teachers stay for multiple contracts. That being said, it is a Christian school in every way. Bible verses posted in each classroom, etc. If you are not Christian, you may not find it to your liking, as the religious viewpoint permeates every aspect of school life.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Thank you all so much for your words. I think it sounds like a good school, however not a good match...
VA75

Post by VA75 »

Could anyone give feedback on how competitive these jobs are? Are people lined up for schools like Concordia and Seoul Foreign at the various job fairs just like they line up for their secular counterparts?
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

VA75,

Concordia is very competitive because of the low turnover and they also fill a number of vacancies through the Lutheran school network.

Seoul Foreign School actually can have trouble filling their vacancies due to the strong religious aspect of the school and the country.

Concordia is not as religious as SFS but is becoming more so under the new head.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

One thing I will say about Concordia.. I applied there for a position. I was never interviewed, but they notified me that the position was filled anyway. I thought it was a very kind gesture. Pretty sure most schools don't go to that length to show deference to applicants.
xtralight

Post by xtralight »

We were offered an interview this year but turned them down. Decent school but couldn't take the bible thumping and living in a smog filled city was not something we wanted.
nikkor

Re: Concordia International School Shanghai any info please?

Post by nikkor »

[quote="PsychBean"]Hello All,

Just wondering about the cost of living in Shanghai and how the work life balance is at this school. Also how is it for American kids at this school will they integrate well or not? How is the school? Are employees happy and how is the turn over rate? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Also on their website they mentioned early decision bonus? Do they pay for you to tell them you are coming back or not or just if you are returning?[/quote]

Shanghai's cost of living is high, but not in the stratosphere. The savings potential is high, so COL doesn't necessarily matter. Work/life balance is OK, but everyone works extremely hard, and is good at what they do. American kids integrate into the school just fine. It probably has the most "American" feel of any school in China. Educational standards at the school are very high. Try to find the school profile or annual report on the school's website. Admin is quite popular. Employees are very happy. Turnover is low. I believe something like 6-8 of 200 teachers are leaving this year. I'm not sure about the early decision bonus.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="xtralight"]We were offered an interview this year but turned them down. Decent school but couldn't take the bible thumping and living in a smog filled city was not something we wanted.[/quote]

Agreed I'm heading in a different direction now. Thanks all.