International School Manila

skonamaj1

International School Manila

Post by skonamaj1 »

I saw on the ISM website they have a lot of openings for next year. I have tried to send them my CV through their online system, but I never get a response. Has anyone had an luck contacting the HR for ISM? What is my best shot for getting hired there?
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

I've heard that it really depends on what subject and section of school. However, with that being said, most times they say they prefer everybody goes thru the database unless you hear otherwise.
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

Maybe I am doing something wrong because I have been applying through their online system for years. No joke, and never once got any kind of response from them.
DeDee

Me too!!

Post by DeDee »

I applied through the online application too. No response and that was about 2 months ago. Now, I see more openings. Not sure if I should apply again or not. Sigh...
Briz

Post by Briz »

I have no intimate knowledge of ISM, but know they typically hire only at fairs. David Toze is the treasurer of CoIS, and I have been told he fancies this fair. Again no working knowledge of any of this! I have never heard of anyone getting an offer through the website, but did meet one person not hired at a fair because his good friend helped him secure an interview and he knocked it out of the park.

I would never advise resending an application unless you want to look desperate. Everyone is busy this time of year!!
mapuam

International School Manila Recruitment

Post by mapuam »

I am the HR Director of ISM. ISM has an online application process
through the school's website www.ismanila.org, All candidates may apply
through this site. When candidates submit their documents online they
should receive a message on the screen stating:
"Thank you for your interest in the International School Manila. We have successfully received your on line application form as well as your attachments and we shall be reviewing your documents as soon as possible. We do receive many resumes during the course of the year, and we shall only contact those applicants who are most qualified for a position. All openings are posted on our website at www.ismanila.org. If you are an overseas applicant please refer to the recruitment fairs listed on the website. We take this opportunity to extend to you our best wishes."
Most of the school's recruiting does occur at recruitment fairs. We usually attend ISS and SEARCH in Bangkok, SEARCH and CIS in London, SEARCH Cambridge and the major ISS Fair in the USA. However, every year candidates fly out to see us in school before the fairs begin, and some of these are offered positions.

Should you have any other questions or concerns regarding this process at ISM please feel free to contact our Human Resource department at hr@ismanila.org.

Thank You

Michelle Mapua
Briz

Post by Briz »

Nothing better than the school responding to the query!!!

First class!
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

So if you get an email like that above, and then they ignore you, that is normal.
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

Well you must get some fantastic resumes because I have 10 years international teaching experience and I have never had an interview at ISM. Just so you know some teachers can not attend job fairs as we are working during those times.
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

Ms. Mapua, what is the procedure for interviewing at the school? I would pay for my own tickets and accommodation. I just want a chance to interview.
Nomad68

ISM

Post by Nomad68 »

You have to be interviewed in person at one of the recruiting fairs. First you have to be interviewed by one or more of the Heads before David Toze will even consider seeing you. Be aware that he is a very odd man with quite the ego and opinions. The school is well resourced, has a good reputation and a decent package but whilst Toze is in charge getting a job there is tough as he only wants 'his' type of people.
Briz

Post by Briz »

I think that Nomad is correct in the process that ISM, but takes some big leaps in his description of David Toze. First he is a very confident British man. This strikes many Americans with positions under him as arrogant when in fact it is leadership. If you study the history of Toze at ISM you will quickly find why ISM is the caliber of school that it is and why he chooses "his people". In 2001 he took over a school quickly losing it's dominance in the Philippines. He changed the mindset of the school by changing teachers. It worked and ISM sprang back. In 2006 he fought a tough battle with the board and eventually came out on top. Every year since them ISM has grown in strength to one of the top 20 schools in Asia. I would also be pretty confident that I was doing the right thing. Oh there was the winning of the top head teacher award a couple of years ago too.

I have never worked at ISM, but would. I have met David Toze briefly as well as having heard him speak and found him to be a straight shooter with vision and direction. The rest of my information comes from research.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

If you do get an interview with Toze, I've heard he has... um... an interesting style. I guess he starts most interviews with, "tell me about yourself." But then he picks up something to read, or starts bounding a ball against the wall. It might come off as a bit dismissive to some. I haven't heard anyone say that they had a good interview with him.
Don't get me wrong, I think he is a great head, and ISM is a great school.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="eion_padraig"]So if you get an email like that above, and then they ignore you, that is normal.[/quote]

That gave me a chuckle. I think I'm at the ignore stage :wink: