Should I...?

Bellarex

Should I...?

Post by Bellarex »

My wife and I applied to a school who was advertising two positions in our comfort and experience zone. We got an email back a day later asking for an interview, but for positions that were not what we've really been looking for. We're qualified to teach them, we just have no experience in them, and personally it's not quite my cup of tea.

The school is an ESOL school in Cairo. Without digging too much, we'd lean toward not accepting these positions if offered, but we'd like the opportunity to get experience interviewing. Should we interview for the experience and to see what is offered, or decline an interview based on the positions they say they have available?

Right now we're open to many places in the world, but with two little ones, we aren't sure about Cairo. (maybe I'm way off base...?)
WonderingWhat

Post by WonderingWhat »

There are a few schools in Cairo. The only one I know worth working at is Cairo American College. There may be one other. There are some Al Choueifat schools that should be avoided in my opinion at all costs. Do an interview for the experience but unless it's CAC I would pass.
Briz

Post by Briz »

You should interview. At this stage, it is good to professionally answer questions. You might just get another job because you thought of the perfect answer because of this interview.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Should I...?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Bellarex"]My wife and I applied to a school who was advertising two positions in our comfort and experience zone. We got an email back a day later asking for an interview, but for positions that were not what we've really been looking for. We're qualified to teach them, we just have no experience in them, and personally it's not quite my cup of tea.

The school is an ESOL school in Cairo. Without digging too much, we'd lean toward not accepting these positions if offered, but we'd like the opportunity to get experience interviewing. Should we interview for the experience and to see what is offered, or decline an interview based on the positions they say they have available?

Right now we're open to many places in the world, but with two little ones, we aren't sure about Cairo. (maybe I'm way off base...?)[/quote]

-----------------------------------------------

I could be wrong but it sounds like the interview will turn out to be a job offer. This is not that unusual for less than ideal schools/locations. No harm in interviewing though for the experience, especially if you haven't interviewed as a couple before (or very often).

Good luck!
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

Thanks all for the responses. My friend was interviewed by this same school two days ago and was offered a job 2 hours later by email. I think we'll go ahead and interview for the experience... and who knows.. maybe the school will knock my socks off or something.

What about Cairo in general? Is it a good place for families? All I really know of Egypt is what the American media tells me.. which could be very exaggerated.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I think you are talking about the American International School or Cairo English School. I think the former is fine. Decent enough salary and work conditions. CES has had a lot of ups and downs and has had massive staff turnover. Both schools are ESOL. Neither compares with CAC, but the majority of teachers working in Egypt don't work at CAC, but still seem to make a decent living.

We live in Cairo with two young kids. Options are limited, although you'll get plenty of beach time in the holidays.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

IAMBOG, yes it was American International School. In fact, both AISE campuses are requesting interviews with us.

My wife will enjoy the beach part.. are there parks, entertainment, good restaurants around? Is it multicultural at all? My wife dresses modestly by American standards, but will she have to wear certain things in public?
koreaj

Post by koreaj »

The Director of the AISE West campus has a very good reputation from what I hear. That is one of the reasons my wife and I took a job with the school for next year. PM if you want to talk about the interview at all.

It was a very well conducted interview though. Living in Cairo wasn't sugar-coated at all. We are looking forward to the challenges of the city though.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

koreaj, PMs are disabled, but please email me at bellarex [at] gmail.com as I would love to hear what you have to say. AISE-West is the one offering to interview for positions that we'd rather have.
sid

Post by sid »

Many times teachers have gone into interviews just for the experience, and ended up realizing that the school was the right fit for them. It's happened to me personally once, and to others I know more times than I can count (perhaps showing my age here).
Do the interview with an open mind. Best case, you get a job you want. Worst case, you gain experience.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Bellarex,

the west one is newer, but out in the boonies. The older one is central.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

Just to follow up..

We've interviewed with both AISE campuses. One gave us a contract to look over and decide if we wanted to go further in the interview process. The other offered positions at the end of the interview.

Not sure what we'll do.. we have until the end of the week to follow up with both.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I don't know the exact location of either, but neither is central as far as I'm aware. CAC and MBIS are the only schools in Cairo that could be considered central. The east campus is about a 45 minute taxi ride to Maadi.

We've had some flow of teachers and students between AISE and our school. My impression is their package isn't quite as good as ours, but not far off. The flow of students between the two seems to be the behavioural kids, who seem to bounce around.
RandyBush

Post by RandyBush »

My wife and I are considering an option in Cairo as well. Could any of you there comment more on the safety? Any issues you've had or experienced? Is living in Maadi removed from the action? Any comments you have would be appreciated!
Briz

Post by Briz »

With the current state of affairs regarding the bombings of the muslim brotherhood etc (5 injured thursday on a bus, and 2 more bomds since then). and then looking at the pay in Cairo and I wouldn't even consider Egypt. Remember a teacher was just shot and killed while jogging in the morning in Libya. Northern Africa countries are just not worth me risking the lives of my family at this time. I also think many people will continue to leave the region and IS will suffer, thus less job security in the future. Any school making an offer after 1 skype interview scares me, seems desperate, and desperation always has an underlying cause. Just my take....