Why going to a job fair is so important!

Briz

Why going to a job fair is so important!

Post by Briz »

I went to my first job fair full of research. I found with my relative limited experience that even getting interviews took skill. I had a lot of interviews, a full card. I even got a job. But that was not why I felt sucessful!

International education requires networking. Networking to get info on schools, to get your resume on the right desk, to share resources. I met people at job fairs and at PD events with whom I regularly interact and have become a better teacher because of it. My resume is going where I want because of people I met in the last 2 years.

School presentations!!! I knew my school was 3rd tier when I heard David Toze talk about ISManila, but WOW did that introduction inspire the hell out of me to work my butt off to get myself to the next level!. There is really good things going on in the IS marketplace, and it is great to meet these wonderful people, hear what they say, and inspire yourself to be working there in the future!

I am signed up for ISS and SA in Bangkok, and even if I get the job I want at the first one, I will go to the search fair presentations! Eventually I will want another job, or I might find a collaborative project that could be truely inspirational.

So for all of those who are worried or hoping they get their offers before the fair, relax! You will be ok, and probably successful, and if your lucky you will pick up a hellava lot more than just a new contract just by attending.
schoolcounselor

Post by schoolcounselor »

Thanks for the pep talk, that was exactly the perspective I needed today! Leaving to fly across the country to the AASSA fair in Atlanta on Thursday. Fingers crossed for an offer! And I will think long term investment and networking as well.

Cheers!
Briz

Post by Briz »

Good luck. I have also been experiencing a lot of anxiety about it of late (the great November time suck). But I got my resign papers yesterday, and although I knew which box I was checking, doing it made me take the moments necessary to review what I was in fact actually doing.

I can be very positive, and right now feel ready to charge forward.
WonderingWhat

Post by WonderingWhat »

Briz.
Why do you think ISManila is 3rd tier? I thought I heard it was second or first.
zanyplum

Post by zanyplum »

[quote="WonderingWhat"]Briz.
Why do you think ISManila is 3rd tier? I thought I heard it was second or first.[/quote]

Reread the post please, that is not what was meant.
WonderingWhat

Post by WonderingWhat »

It reads like that to me. What am I missing here? What do you think is meant by it.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Wonderingwhat,

when Briz heard David Toze talk about ISManila, she realized the school she was leaving was 3rd tier.

It is like thinking you are at a quality school, and then going to learn about the Embassy school in Delhi, or IS of The Hague, or NIST or SAS (take your pick - Shanghai or Singapore).

Then you KNOW that your school has a long way to go.
WonderingWhat

Post by WonderingWhat »

Got it. :)
Briz

Post by Briz »

First, I'm a boy...

Second, I teach science, but try to still write well.

Third, IS manila is no where near a 2nd tier school. It is category 1 all the way! The point was that at my first fair with 3 years of experience, and a lot of hope and hutzpah, I saw how poor of conditions I had actually been working in. I keep the rejection to interview note I got from ISM, as it really drove me in that job fair! It will drive me again when I interview with them in the future. Even if it isn't them, symbolically whoever I am talking to is "them" as I have drive because of what is inside of me. Toze really brought it out of me that day, and I have used that speech and that rejection letter as a motivation to attain success ever since. Who knows our stars may line up this recruiting season, and I will be teaching in Fort B next year!!!
Briz

Post by Briz »

First, I'm a boy...

Second, I teach science, but try to still write well.

Third, IS manila is no where near a 2nd tier school. It is category 1 all the way! The point was that at my first fair with 3 years of experience, and a lot of hope and hutzpah, I saw how poor of conditions I had actually been working in. I keep the rejection to interview note I got from ISM, as it really drove me in that job fair! It will drive me again when I interview with them in the future. Even if it isn't them, symbolically whoever I am talking to is "them" as I have drive because of what is inside of me. Toze really brought it out of me that day, and I have used that speech and that rejection letter as a motivation to attain success ever since. Who knows our stars may line up this recruiting season, and I will be teaching in Fort B next year!!!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

My apologies. I see I offended you enough that you wrote your post twice!

j/k! :-)