Who has NOT had an interview?

zanyplum

Post by zanyplum »

Honestly, I kind of think you have the right idea. So many emails and applications I completed were for jobs that never materialized because they were tentative. It was sort of a waste of time and stress. I like your plan.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I agree...I'm sending some emails through the Search site but that's about it...I want to get to the job fair and take it from there...that's when everything is really going to ramp up...
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="zanyplum"]Honestly, I kind of think you have the right idea. So many emails and applications I completed were for jobs that never materialized because they were tentative. It was sort of a waste of time and stress. I like your plan.[/quote]

If anyone is going to a fair, I strongly suggest you keep trying to make connections with those schools that will be attending with possible openings in your field. Schools seem to like having a pool of generally qualified people lined up before the fair that they plan on talking to and you really want to be in that group.

That's not to say that you can't just show up and talk yourself into an interview and potentially a job, as it happens at every fair. But, since emails and applications are free to complete, trying to establish an early connection with the decision makers can be well worth the time and effort.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

That's something I've gone back and forth over... "Is this really going to matter in the end?" I just had an elementary principal that I interviewed with this morning tell me that one of the reasons he is interested is because I took the initiative to email him directly.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

I would wholeheartedly disagree with a plan to sit on your hands. I interviewed via Skype with three very good schools over the past few weeks and just signed my contract with one of them. I am not in a high need subject area. Just my thoughts.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I just want to go to the fair to see what is out there and what it is all about. I had one Skype interview with an offer, but feel I would have been crazy to accept it without having gone to a job fair.

I think everyone just has to do what they feel is comfortable and works for them.
chalupa

Post by chalupa »

I have contacted about 40 schools for positions and have only gotten two replies--no interviews or scheduled interviews. I don't get it. I am pretty open as far as geographic region. I don't even care if it is a top-ranked, top-paying school.
Last edited by chalupa on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

We're elementary as well and have put ourselves out to over 40 schools with minimal return. We've had a few interviews and one offer that we turned down (I know, not feeling bad for myself), but we decided to hold out for the fair or as we can possibly get multiple offers and have some choice.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Just got some nibbles...2 really good schools...preliminary, I'm sure, but they contacted me nonetheless!
hairsonfire

Post by hairsonfire »

December is heating up...plans for a skype interview with one school, completed interview with another. Feels nice after a silent November.
marieh

Post by marieh »

We didn't hear anything for all of November and most of December, although we did send out applications to about 20 different schools. Last week, however, we were contacted by 5 schools wanting to set up interviews (Skype and in-person) during this week and next week. Looks like things are indeed heating up.
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

Still nada for me. Haven't heard anything from any of the schools that I've applied to. Not looking like its going to be my year. Attending the Search London fair, was hoping schools would want to at least interview. Man, was really hoping for some good news this week.

Good luck to the rest of you.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

@Bluejay...Don't give up...I've only had nibbles...but you'll probably go to the London fair and scoop them up! Things will pick up!
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

Haven't given up. I know that it's a long shot with a non-teaching spouse and 2 children. It all boils down to economics.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Same boat as you (exactly!) Bluejay, and just to keep up the holiday cheer, I've been through this twice in the past 6 years, and both times, have landed in excellent schools. Only leaving my current place due to "environmental" reasons. Haven't had a nibble yet this year, but only putting my feelers out to about 10 schools so far. Will approach the fair with a positive attitude and hope to find the perfect place for my non-teaching spouse and 2 children. As my British colleagues say (stereotypically, of course!), "Keep a stiff upper lip!"